Now a good time to upgrade to Win 10?

noobferguson

Limp Gawd
The initial reports were of bugs and a general consensus of "wait."

Now, more than half a year into release life, I'm putting in some cleanup on 2 of my computers and reinstalling for a friend and considering options. Has anything changed/improved in the past few months? Is now a good time to jump?

I have been happy with 10 so far. When 8 came out i migrated to a mac and love it, but have slowly been using 10 and have had no issues. kind of reminds me of XP, where it actually works!

The OP is stating, in general. And yes there were and still are bugs and annoyances. No need to wait. This is as good as it gets.

Depends.

The biggest reason to not upgrade IMHO is the forced updating/lack of control over updates. If you like being in control of what updates are installed (or are not installed) on your system, then 10 is not for you.
The alternative to this of course is to use an older variant of Windows that allows this control (ie 7 or 8/8.1). The issue with that is now they're trying to push 10 to as many systems as possible, so 7 and 8/8.1 have to be babysat now if you want to run the older OS and keep 10 off. This involves either installing updates manually and/or turning off updates completely.

Depending on where you're comfortable and which you'd rather deal with, that's what it boils down to.
10 is a good OS; arguably it's 7, optimized and snappier. I don't really have many problems with 10, but I don't like the lack of control over updating.
I don't care about the telemetry/spying talk at this point; you can cut that down quite a bit by adjusting the settings and using 3rd party apps like ShutUp10. Most of the communication back to MS is crash info, reporting, and Cortana. There is tracking going on, but it's more desert view, not granular view. I don't think they're actually cataloging what files and file names each user is opening; they're tracking how many times all the 10 users opened Photos or Groove or whatever. I don't care about that because I don't use those apps anyway.

That being said, there are the oddball 10 issues that I've yet to find fixes for. A laptop I imaged for a friend has a disappearing Start menu/taskbar. Every fix I've found only temporarily fixes this, and it happens again either later that day or the next day. The only other supposed fix is "Restore the OS" and I don't think that should be necessary. In any event, it's a bug in 10 that I've never been able to fix and they haven't pushed out an update for 10 that I'm aware of that keeps it from happening.

I don't like how they've continued ignoring user settings, such as resetting app defaults back to their [MS's] apps. That's questionable (at best) and dishonest (at worst, and IMHO). But whatever. A few clicks fixes that, so I'm not really going to raise a lot of ruckus over it.

Last edited:
There really wasn't a "bad" time to install Windows 10. Now is a great time, however, as it seems like you no longer need to install a previous OS first. You can go right to 10 and activate it using a previous retail key.

As for drivers and support, it's been fine since day 1. Windows 10 has been so solid that we've been rolling it out to our staff for a few months now.

I had issues indexing multiple drives under Windows 10; despite adding my x3 RAID 0 array four or five times, I'd have to click the additional button in the search to actually pull information from them. Aside from that, the only feasible upgrade between the two is visual from what I noticed during my three months of use. Directx will be getting a Win10 update, but that's not gonna be applicable to most newer games for a while. Really, I wouldn't bother unless you really felt compelled.

The biggest issue is that not enough is too different from 7, and the noticeable changes only got in the way of me using the computer in my normal fashion. Once I learned it, it didn't really make anything faster entry-wise.

There were some graphical glitches I experienced with 10 when it came out but that could very well of been GPU drivers. Other UI quirks as well but most of it is ironed out.

The one persistent error I have is that whenever I log out or shutdown (and user is logged out) I get an error sound. The only thing in Event Viewer is a generic error message that doesn't point to anything that I can tell. I wiped system and reinstalled and it still did it.

Otherwise, if you want to take advantage of the free offer you will want to do the update and activation now (even if you roll back) so at least your mobo is activated on their system for your eventual move to 10.

Well I for one have had all kinds of issues getting Windows 10 to run reliably on my PC.
It would load okay and then run for about a month, then I started to have issues with booting reliably, it wouldn't boot every time! It got worse and worse and eventually wound up with the auto repair cycle that never repaired anything and left me with an unbootable SSD.
I might add I didn't give up and bought a brand new SSD and tried again and pretty much had all the same problems. I spent hours and hours on it and all for nothing.
I don't trust anyone these days and gave up with Win 10 and loaded Linux Mint 17.3 but to be honest I like the feel of the Windows so went back to my Windows 7. It WORKS faultlessly
That said I'll never buy another piece of Asus hardware again, I'm not convinced I haven't got some issues going on with my MB and the graphic card caused all kind of problems with Linux mint 17.2
Not a happy chappy in this current era! :meh:

It is not for you. As you can see from other posts there are many "power users" who can not seem to operate that operating system.

It is not for you. As you can see from other posts there are many "power users" who can not seem to operate that operating system.
There are documented problems with specific hardware, so check around some. I have read where some pointing devices for laptops simply have no drivers, and the hardware is only a year or so old. Personally, I have several systems running 10, and not really had any significant problem that couldn't be fixed. I have to agree with the post about the loss of control over updates is the biggest change. If you run Pro, you can stop most of that with Group Policies. I don't agree with the data mining and telemetry, but I have expressed my opinion. At some point you will be assimilated to 10 if you want to run new apps and DX12.

As someone who finally installed Windows 10 (last night, Feb 26) I can definitely say this is the best - for me - upgrade I've ever done. The Start interface is perfect for my needs the system is certainly snappier than it was on Windows 7. Navigating is definitely easier as I can place apps/games on the start menu and not have icons cluttering-up my desktop. So far I am very satisfied with the upgrade.

I too had been avoiding/just wasn't interested in taking the time to look into Windows 10, but I just upgraded my tablet from 8.1 to 10 yesterday and my desktop from 7 to 10 today. The upgrades were quite painless in my case and so far everything seems fine.

Haven't exactly had extensive time with it so far so it's a bit early for me to judge.

If you have Windows 8 ready hardware you should have no issues. There wasn't much of a reason for me to go from 8 to 10 other then I really don't have a choice if I want to play new games.

Back