Novell and Windows XP

Let me start off by saying that I have no experience with novell. My school has assigned us all laptops, IBM Thinkpad R40's to be exact. They come installed with Novell and all thins other crap already loaded. I'm not living on campus and I want to access my windows network so that I can print to my home printer. My machines are all wired and the thinkpad is wireless. I've cant find a way to connect to my home network at all. I can get online wirelessly, but thats it. When i try to search for computers nothing comes up. I ping my other machines and it's always timed out. I also cant find any way to search for workgroup computers or even a way to change my workgroup. This is driving me nuts. The school seriously want to keep us from sharing files. I really want to access my music folders and printers from my other machines. Sorry I'm such a network newb. The thinkpad is loaded with Netware 4.83 SP1. Thanks in advance.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026346800

The school provided and owns the equipment. They want to keep you from doing things other than work on it. That seems to be quite applicable to the above link. Try purchasing another cheap printer to hook up or swap the cable on the one that you currently have to the laptop when you need to print.

You might be able to switch between what login the network connection uses. Notice I said MIGHT. It'll all depend on what other software is running on the machine, and whether you can get to the properties of the network connection. If you can, try adding Client for Microsoft Networks into the list of installed components. If that doesn't work, you may be out of luck.

Keep trying though.

they might want to update that novell client version =P. there should be a workstation only check box on it unless they disabled it, but they still might have system policies setup so you can change workgroups and such. last thing they want is the student messing with settings then comming back crying for help to get it to work on the schools network again.

Back