Novell 4.90.0.0 SP1a password recovery

Gibson

Weaksauce
My friend bought a laptop on ebay and it has Novell 4.90.0.0 client installed on it. He can't gain access to the computer without knowing this password and the seller is being unresponsive(makes me think it's hot :() Anywho, I could load Pro on it for him, but I'd rather not reload the entire OS as there may be stuff worth keeping on this harddrive. Any suggestions?

Define "stuff worth keeping". Just because its preloaded when you bought it secondhand doesn't mean you have a license for it. If you had such license, the seller would have transferred all applicable media, documentation, and serials in accordance with the transfer of rights clause in the EULA.

But to answer your question, CHNTPW may be able to do it-its what some Novell geeks I know said to look into (personally, I depsise novell with a passion :p )

Actually you are looking for the windows password. Novell passwords are one kept on the novell server but most sync this password with thier windows password. When you log on with novell client into a novell network, and the novell password and the windows password don't match it will ask you if you want to change the windows password to match. I doubt that you have access to a novell server so you can't just put in a different username that you know is on the server and having another profile created on the laptop. There are a few linux disks that can help you just need to search around for them.

Jgedeon said:
Actually you are looking for the windows password. Novell passwords are one kept on the novell server but most sync this password with thier windows password. When you log on with novell client into a novell network, and the novell password and the windows password don't match it will ask you if you want to change the windows password to match. I doubt that you have access to a novell server so you can't just put in a different username that you know is on the server and having another profile created on the laptop. There are a few linux disks that can help you just need to search around for them.
yup, just realized that. I just used my SAM bootdisk and it worked like a charm ;) Let me in and I disabled all the Novell stuff.

Off Topic: I DO have access to novell servers though :p

and M11 he got all the serials and documentation but it's rare that off-the-shelf comps come with CDs anymore :(

Back