Noticable difference between PC2100 and PC3200?

ATH25

n00b
Thinking about spending around $200 on a new set of ram (2 sticks of PC3200 512mb). Right now I have two PC2100 512mb sticks in my computer, and I was wondering if there would be a NOTICABLE difference if I upgraded. It's either that, or new speakers with a big ass sub.

Athlon XP 2800+ @ 2.1gigs
Will be getting a 6800GT for xmas (same time as either memory or speakers)
120gb hdd
Asus A7V8X-X mobo
memory I already stated

Anyone care to answer my question?

So basically I'm getting speakers since none of you have said anything remotely close to an answer...unless someone wants to be useful...

ATH25 said:
So basically I'm getting speakers since none of you have said anything remotely close to an answer...unless someone wants to be useful...

get your speakers then. enjoy.

:rolleyes:

to clarify on my previous comment, i think you'll enjoy the improved responsiveness from your computer due to the higher quality memory far more than you'll enjoy new speakers.
thus memory > speakers

(cf)Eclipse said:
to clarify on my previous comment, i think you'll enjoy the improved responsiveness from your computer due to the higher quality memory far more than you'll enjoy new speakers.
thus memory > speakers

So there WOULD be a noticable difference??

Basics : Things will run quicker, especially when more and more windows are open, etc. Games will load faster. 3d programs will go smoother.

In that case, you will definetly notice a difference. You may have to do a wire-in-socket mod to make your CPU run at 200MHz FSB, and further, though... but, yeah, you should see a very substantial performance gain from upgrading the memory.

is it an unlocked athlon xp? if so, you can get to 200mhz fsb without a problem on that asus.. hell it's spec'ed for 200mhz, so if you get pc3200, the limiting factor would be your cpu if you can't change the multi.

ATH25 said:
Thinking about spending around $200 on a new set of ram (2 sticks of PC3200 512mb). Right now I have two PC2100 512mb sticks in my computer, and I was wondering if there would be a NOTICABLE difference if I upgraded. It's either that, or new speakers with a big ass sub.

What kind of Mobo and CPU are you running.. then i'll give you an answer... you can't just toss PC 3200 into anything.. you need to know what the rest of th system has..

there is no way to tell unless you give us your system specs... so give us as much info as possible about the system

if your Mobo and CPU are capable of running 200FSB (DDR400) then i think you would see a very good improvement...

ATH25 said:
Athlon XP 2800+ @ 2.1gigs
Will be getting a 6800GT for xmas (same time as either memory or speakers)
120gb hdd
Asus A7V8X-X mobo
memory I already stated

Anyone care to answer my question?

he already told us his system dude ;)

And if the multi is locked (desktop CPU), then the pc2100 ram is causing his system to run underclocked by about 40%...

not true, there are memory dividers, though they severely effect performance.

i have a amd althon xp 2800+ as well and i have 512 ddr 2700 ram. is my processor limiting my ram as well? how do i tell if my proc can be unlocked or if it is unlocked? im goin to try to get another stick of 2700+ ddr ram.

i'd go with the speakers...... much better improvement than what the ram will give

bjornb17 said:
i'd go with the speakers...... much better improvement than what the ram will give

Thats like getting rims instead of a turbo on a car to make it "better"! :p

lol, of course speakers dont make your computer faster, but they can make it more enjoyable. and rims are to show off to people. speakers are to enjoy music/movies

sell ur 2700 first then get the 3200. having both will only make the 3200 run at 2700 speeds

RAM > Speaker

I dunno, let's see - I spent $75 on speakers, and $250 + $280 on RAM (both of the times got pretty good deals, by the way)... And intend to spend some more. I'm addicted
insane.gif
.. now, I must get those TCCD chips to see if I can lower my latency by another .5ns..

Waitm MaMMa - you got your BH-5 at 2-1-1 at 255Mhz at 3.3vdimm?! That's lies... Impossible. Love, Hate, Clouds. *faints*

I would go with the memory. And to answer the original question, there will be a noticeable difference. How noticeable is dependant on the user

What is keeping you from getting 3500? If I'm not mistaken, there are pretty close in price now.

I'm pretty sure if you got some quality memory with tight timings you'd notice your computer running a bit smoother. Try the level 2 black at www.mushkin.com with 2-2-2 timings, the 3200 if you're going to overclock the 2700 if not. Use coupoun ANAND (all caps) for 10% off.

you dorks. if he asked that question in the speaker forum, im sure they would suggest to him to get speakers instead of ram.

not necessarily, i would have said get the ram in the speaker forum.. (wait, there is a speaker forum..?)
but anyhow, more ram will definitly bring about a much more noticable improvement than better speakers will, even if they are completely different things.

(cf)Eclipse said:
not necessarily, i would have said get the ram in the speaker forum.. (wait, there is a speaker forum..?)
but anyhow, more ram will definitly bring about a much more noticable improvement than better speakers will, even if they are completely different things.

ram will make the computer a little faster of course, but it wont make a world of difference like good speakers. what kind of speakers do you have?

Yah I would get speakers.
Who cares if you have to wait for your programs to take a couple of seconds to load. If I didn't have speakers, my house would be dead silent, and that'd just be freaky...

well most likely he already has speakers.. i mean i dunno who would get a computer without speakers ;)
however, since that's been brought up, if you don't have speakers, or at least speakers without a somewhat decent subwoofer, get speakers, get the ram later.
however, if the speakers you have can play reasonable quality music, get the ram.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I managed to find a very good speaker set, AND PC3200 ram and still stay under my budget. I have not noticed an amazing difference in my computer's speed, however the speakers were well worth the money.

how do u lower the multiplier?, sorry for invading ur thread. btw what speakers did u get+ram and for how much and where? thanks

Remember, When you address the Memory Forum Gods, do it with a little damn respect.

Kids these days are so ill mannered.

Warmonkey said:
Remember, When you address the Memory Forum Gods, do it with a little damn respect.

:rolleyes:

Warmonkey said:
Yes. I blame those damned hippies for starting the whole "hey man, don't beat your kid" thing.
beatkid4.jpg

Back