Notfred Folding Virtual Appliance Released!

nomad8u

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2008
Released yesterday... just downloaded and will be trying this out after a "snapshot" of my 2 running VM Notfred CD images and a shutdown/reboot for some more Vcore stability goodness...

Hopefully this will backup to USB properly. It looks like you can change/setup options at boot time. Forum thread. Guess I gotta sing up for yet another forum...:p

0.png

I'm new to VMware, what does this do exactly, autoinstall F@H in a VM?

This is for some EASY folding with VMWare. Before, you could use the CD generated image to setup a VM, but VMWare wouldn't pickup a USB stick properly for backups, so if your WU yakked, there was no backup as it was using a virtual CD image and didn't preserve the backup... If you "powered off" or "shut down" the VM, same problem.

This looks like a virtual disk image, so hopefully it'll save backups there and be able to restart cleanly.

I'm starting one now, so I'll have better info in a half hour or so....;)

0.png

Thanks for the information. Can I use this to install a VM image on a hard disk if I prefer that over a USB stick?

Been running this since early this morning. Just as easy to use as the CD or USB stick version. No complaints here. Just praise! I love that I won't lose WUs anymore or dump half completed WUs.

Thanks for the information. Can I use this to install a VM image on a hard disk if I prefer that over a USB stick?
Don't think so. But what does a 256mb - 1gb USB stick run you? $10-$15.

Yes you can IF you have an OS such as Windows XP installed, and VMware Server (probably player too but I'm not sure) the zip file you D/L has 2 files in it. A 512meg Virtual IDE Disk Image (which beside the 16meg OS, will save backups!!!) and the corresponding "vmx" file that contains the configs.
I don't believe this is intended to be run standalone as a HD image..

0.png

Been running this since early this morning. Just as easy to use as the CD or USB stick version. No complaints here. Just praise! I love that I won't lose WUs anymore or dump half completed WUs.

Yep... hopefully I lost my last WU. This is just TOO sweet....

I've rebooted it twice, and it picks up right where it left off... HOOAHHH... :D:D

0.png

Don't think so. But what does a 256mb - 1gb USB stick run you? $10-$15.
The cost is not the only issue. This is going to be installed on a dual quad that has 8 cores. Would I need a stick for each VM? Besides, that system has a limited number of USB ports and most are already occupied. I'd much rather install it on the HD if I can.

Yes you can IF you have an OS such as Windows XP installed, and VMware Server (probably player too but I'm not sure) the zip file you D/L has 2 files in it. A 512meg Virtual IDE Disk Image (which beside the 16meg OS, will save backups!!!) and the corresponding "vmx" file that contains the configs.
I don't believe this is intended to be run standalone as a HD image..
Actually, the system in question has VMware Server installed and the host OS is Win XP. I already attempted installing Notfred in a VM and then Tiger's recommended CentOS - both failed to install with errors I couldn't or don't know how to resolve. If this proves easy to install and I can get 2-4 VMs going, it will be great. I can then move onto my other servers and perform the same procedure.

The cost is not the only issue. This is going to be installed on a dual quad that has 8 cores. Would I need a stick for each VM? Besides, that system has a limited number of USB ports and most are already occupied. I'd much rather install it on the HD if I can.

Actually, the system in question has VMware Server installed and the host OS is Win XP. I already attempted installing Notfred in a VM and then Tiger's recommended CentOS - both failed to install with errors I couldn't or don't know how to resolve. If this proves easy to install and I can get 2-4 VMs going, it will be great. I can then move onto my other servers and perform the same procedure.

Technically, having this with its' 512mb virtual hd, it's like having a 496mb USB backup attached. (The OS take 16 mb leaving the rest for WU/ core files and backups (so knock off another 25 mb for the p2605's while running and that leases about 470 mb just for backup.)
I'm currently running the one I have up with no USB stick, and I've "rebooted" the VM twice and both times it restored from the backup on the virtual drive and continued crunching.. :)

I'm running VMware Server as well under XP, so we should be able to get you running without too much trouble.. ;)

What types of problems were you having with the VM and notfred's CD image?

I'd be happy to try and walk you through setting this up if you need help with it.

0.png

That's great... This will solve my problem with the CD asking for a usb key while I don't want to. I'll do some testing tonight on 1-2 VM instances.

You only need one stick. You configure how many instances you want to run by how many cores you have. You can either have it run 1 instance per every 4 or 2 cores. I know NotFred's guide mentions it will create a folder "1" and "2" corresponding to how many instances you are running. I don't think I've ever read about people running more than 2 instances off of this USB setup though. Pretty sure you could though.

You only need one stick. You configure how many instances you want to run by how many cores you have. You can either have it run 1 instance per every 4 or 2 cores. I know NotFred's guide mentions it will create a folder "1" and "2" corresponding to how many instances you are running. I don't think I've ever read about people running more than 2 instances off of this USB setup though. Pretty sure you could though.
OK, one stick is sufficient for multiple installs. How much space does each installation require in respect to long-term installations? How much is good to have if I want to install 4 VMs? I'm probably going to install this on my HD, but want to know in case I decide otherwise.

I have a single 2gb stick that I use for my work laptop. Its done over 10 units so the queue has some undeleted files (stupid SMP). The "folding" folder that is created contains 212mb right now. This is a WU that was paused at 95% or so. Plus 16mb for the files downloaded from NotFred that actually boot the stick.

Not saying that ~200mb is the norm, but if it was you'd need a 1gb stick for 4 instances it seems. I would imagine a 2gb stick would be sufficient.

I have a question that's kinda' on topic for this thread and kinda' off topic. :confused:

The on topic thing is I think the the VM Notfred CD images are great for us semi illiterate computer enthusiasts because it seems to make the VM thing even easier than Tigerbiten's post. (I thought you couldn't get any easier) ;)

The semi on topic part is I have a GA-G31M-S2L mobo that will not connect to the DSL internet in the Ubuntu v8.04 Linux OS, It does just fine in windose and using a PCI nic card. (it's a Q6600, OC'ed 3.0GHZ (9x333), ATM just 2 GB's PC6400, double booting WinXP w/SP2 and Ubuntu v8.04 factory CD ) :p

I have it upgraded to the max in Ubuntu, thinking maybe an update would supply me with a driver for onboard internet connection, no go :mad:.

I realize I may be a little late for the party in using the VM thing, in fact I've read where some WU's are better off run straight, no VM. I would like to try it and try it in Ubuntu, so any help would be highly appreciated. :confused:

Remember, I may not be the "sharpest" knife in the drawer, but I ain't the "dullest" one either. :D

I'd really like to run 2x instances of Ubuntu v8.04 (pernts crazy) , but I only have one PCI nic and ATM I'm using it on another GA-G31M-S2L mobo foldin' 24/7 in Ubuntu v8.04 with only one client because it's my semi work boxen (another Q6600,only OC'ed 2.8 GHZ , 2 GB's PC6400, double booting WinXP w/SP2 and Ubuntu v8.04 factory CD ) :confused:

@jws2346

Do you have a spare PCI nic? More than likely any spare PCI NIC you have will be supported in ubuntu. I had to use a PCI nic on my G31M-S2L (yes, we have the same mobo) when I was stress testing my Q6600 on it in Ubuntu.

Remember, I may not be the "sharpest" knife in the drawer, but I ain't the "dullest" one either. :D

I'd really like to run 2x instances of Ubuntu v8.04 (pernts crazy) , but I only have one PCI nic and ATM I'm using it on another GA-G31M-S2L mobo foldin' 24/7 in Ubuntu v8.04 with only one client because it's my semi work boxen (another Q6600,only OC'ed 2.8 GHZ , 2 GB's PC6400, double booting WinXP w/SP2 and Ubuntu v8.04 factory CD ) :confused:

I'm feeling like the dullest knife in the drawer on this one...:D

Are you saying you're trying to run multiple copies of Ubuntu "native"?:confused: Or trying to run multiple copies under XP in VMware Server..
Or... multiple copies with VMware Server and Ubuntu v8.04 as the Host OS?

0.png

I'm pretty sure he's using the NIC on a native Ubuntu install. He wouldn't need any nic if he was running ubuntu in a VM on a windows host.

I'm feeling like the dullest knife in the drawer on this one...:D

Are you saying you're trying to run multiple copies of Ubuntu "native"?:confused: Or trying to run multiple copies under XP in VMware Server..
Or... multiple copies with VMware Server and Ubuntu v8.04 as the Host OS?

0.png

@nomad8u: What I'm tryin' to say (not too successfully BTW) is my mobo (GA-G31M-S2L) doesn't recognise the on board internet connection and if this is a common problem :( It works fine in Ubuntu with the PCI nic and doesn't need the PCI nic in windose (after installing the mobo CD) :( If I could cure that problem I would setup VM using 2x copies of Ubuntu v8.04 on my Linux quad (more pernts than windose SMP)

I always install the Linux OS with a working internet connection because most of the time the mobo internet driver is on a windose CD and I want my boxen as up to date as possible (at least that's been my experience) :).

@ DriveEuro: Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately ATM I only have one PCI nic card and I'm using it on another folding boxen, but I'm waiting for my local Fry's to open so I can get another PCI nic card.

@nomad8u: What I'm tryin' to say (not too successfully BTW) is my mobo (GA-G31M-S2L) doesn't recognise the on board internet connection and if this is a common problem :( It works fine in Ubuntu with the PCI nic and doesn't need the PCI nic in windose (after installing the mobo CD) :( If I could cure that problem I would setup VM using 2x copies of Ubuntu v8.04 on my Linux quad (more pernts than windose SMP)

I always install the Linux OS with a working internet connection because most of the time the mobo internet driver is on a windose CD and I want my boxen as up to date as possible (at least that's been my experience) :).

@ DriveEuro: Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately ATM I only have one PCI nic card and I'm using it on another folding boxen, but I'm waiting for my local Fry's to open so I can get another PCI nic card.

You can technically have only 1 NIC for all the needs. Each VM will just create a distinct driver and in the VM, it will be seen as a independent NIC. With this in mind, if the onboard NIC isn't recognized under Linux, just add 1 NIC and configure VMWare to use this one only and you will be fine. However, you might not need it since if VMWare recognize the NIC, Linux should recognize it because it will be seen as a AMD virtual adapter and will install the proper drivers.

Yep... as you've seen over there, I have the exact same "run-away" files problem. I'm still running just one of the VA's until something gets sorted out with it, and haven't rebooted it as you have for fear the problem will get worse. It didn't play well on my system with a second VA, so I'm sticking with the one VA and the SMP CD ISO client in a VM for now.

0.png

For some reason this is not detecting my USB stick, so it starts folding for notfred. Is there any way to edit the vmdk file to change my username and team? My USB stick has the diskless folding on it and is properly configured. Windows detects it just fine.

I've been playing with this all day. Some initial thoughts:

- running via VMWare Player on Q6600, will only recognize 2 cores. I am running player and not server because of Vista x64. My wife has taken over my sig rig and requiring her to hit F8 and select disable unsigned drivers isn't going to happen.
- You can not set Number of CPUs to 4 via .vmdx file as VMWare Player can only recognize 2 CPUs. If there is a setting that can change this, I've not been able to find it. You'll need to run 2 separate VMs on a Q6600 to saturate. I believe in VMWare Server, you can properly set this to 4 CPUs and therefore run just one VM instance which will actually run two instances of FaH within that one instance.
- There is not a way to set the VM Appliance to low from idle. This is only an issue if you're running a GPU2 client as it'll suck cycles from the GPU2 client.

- running via VMWare Server on T7500 (laptop). Works ok, sometimes.

Issues I've run into:
- VM Instance "seems" to hang. The fahlog.txt file doesn't seem to get updated. I am unable to tell if it is actually hung up or not. I think it is still processing, but because the log isn't updating, I can't really tell. When I restart the VM Instance, it seems as if it was making progress because the restart shows it has progressed during the hang time. This is not always true because one instance on the Q6600 does hang and doesn't make progress.

Back