Notepad++ like editor for Linux

Is there a pure GUI program like Notepad++ or ultraedit32 for Linux. gVim is close, but not to my liking.

Eugene

whats wrong with g/VI/m ? only editor you will ever need ;)
if you use GNOME then Gedit is pretty good as well
if in KDE I think their editor is called KATE

I use gVim on my Linux install and Notepad++ Windows. I just wish I had the same kind of GUI inteface in Linux.

Maybe I should try Wine to install Notepadd++?

Eugene

I find myself mostly using g?vim these days. It's nice to have an interface that is consistent between command line and gui.

Some other good ones I've found:
scite
gedit
kate (my favorite of these four)
mousepad

Some people like emacs, but I haven't used it enough to form an opinion on it.

Frankly, I only use vim, but if you insist on a GUI, take a look at kate (KDE), gEdit, or SciTE. SciTE is based on Scintilla, which is what Notepad++ is also based on for its editing engine, and I think the interfaces are kind of similar.

Also, if you don't have an aversion to running Java programs, take a look at jEdit.

If you don't like any of these choices, just use Notepad++ via WINE like you said: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/nppLinux.php

It does work mostly ok under wine. However, I think MOST of the features of notepad++ are in kate. Try kate under Linux.

I have only used Kate.

yr missing out ;)
seiously though you really should at least get to know the basics of VIM since vi is part of the *NIX basesystem and is present on all systems (its part of busybox). that way if yr system gets FUBAR'ed you have a very handy tool to fixing yr system.

The first thing I emerge when I do a gentoo install is vim

Ok, I forgot about VI. It's pretty easy to get the hang of on Linux, but it's all wierd on Solaris.

Thanks for the replies. I got SciTE installed and Notepad++ under Wine, they look similar that's what I was looking for. Mostly tabs and automatic syntax highlighting for bunch of formats.
I still use vim if I need to edit sys files. How do I make vim syntax highlight different Linux config files. I'm on Ubuntu, had to use CentOS for school and vim on CentOS highlights config files.

One vote here for kate. For whatever reason, I've just never been able to get accustomed to vi (oh the heresy), so my oh shit text editor is.. mc, the midnight commander clone. It is ALWAYS the first app I install when I setup a new box.

Thanks for the replies. I got SciTE installed and Notepad++ under Wine, they look similar that's what I was looking for. Mostly tabs and automatic syntax highlighting for bunch of formats.
I still use vim if I need to edit sys files. How do I make vim syntax highlight different Linux config files. I'm on Ubuntu, had to use CentOS for school and vim on CentOS highlights config files.
To turn on syntax highlighting, insert the line "syntax on" (without quotes) into your ~/.vimrc file. I'm not sure what sort of rules it uses offhand, but for c style languages it works great.

bluefish is pretty good

That's purely an html editor.

I would first recommend Kate for features, followed by SciTE and Gedit.
Seriously, though... learn vi/vim/gvim. It's worth the steep learning curve, and quite efficient once you get the hang of it.

then please explain why and how I've used it to edit and write tons of perl, shell and other scripts?

That's purely an html editor.

I would first recommend Kate for features, followed by SciTE and Gedit.
Seriously, though... learn vi/vim/gvim. It's worth the steep learning curve, and quite efficient once you get the hang of it.

To turn on syntax highlighting, insert the line "syntax on" (without quotes) into your ~/.vimrc file. I'm not sure what sort of rules it uses offhand, but for c style languages it works great.

Thanks that worked. Only vimrc file was located under /etc/ on my system.

Just downloaded SciTE. Pretty good. Not as good as Notepad++, but it has some of the most important features that I care about.

Thanks that worked. Only vimrc file was located under /etc/ on my system.
Oh yeah. You actually have to create it. The file in /etc will be a system wide setting. If you want user specific settings create ~/.vimrc and then put your configuration in there.

You may find that it's more convenient with it as system wide. My desktop is used fairly frequently by other people so I like to leave that sort of stuff up to each user.

then please explain why and how I've used it to edit and write tons of perl, shell and other scripts?

woops, i stand corrected. I guess I haven't used bluefish in a while :eek:
Since I used to love it as a web dev environment, I guess I now wholeheartedly would recommend it as a text editor :D

Back