Notebook with a parallel port?

swatbat

[H]F Junkie
I need a notebook that has a parallel port and a serial port for an engraving machine. The parallel port is needed for a hardware dongle and yes I have asked about a usb one and they don't offer it.

Anyone have any ideas of a current model that has both? I might end up with a dell with a port replicator.

USB --> parallel adapter won't cut it? If not, I think your docking station option is going to be the only viable one for anything new.

USB --> parallel adapter won't cut it? If not, I think your docking station option is going to be the only viable one for anything new.

Not sure, waiting on a responce from their tech support. Guessing no though and besides most usb adapters don't have the correct end on them. I was thinking of a pc card or express card to parallel port card but it all depends on how the software checks for the port. Might check for lpt1 which will have a different memory address if it is onboard vs on an addin card(I've seen that become an issue before). Ticks me off they don't have a usb hardware key.

Thing uses serial to talk to the machine. At least that still is an option on a few notebooks.

I've seen both centronics and dsub on parallel --> USB adapters, so they're definitely available. You might be able to get away with a serial --> USB adapter as well. I use one quite often and it performs admirably.

I've seen both centronics and dsub on parallel --> USB adapters, so they're definitely available. You might be able to get away with a serial --> USB adapter as well. I use one quite often and it performs admirably.

I've seen them, just have never tried one with a hardware dongle for copy protection. I've had issues with other hardware dongles before with add in pci cards.

I'll put this out simply...good luck finding a modern lappy with a traditional parallel port.

Chances are good an Expresscard adapter is using USB through the Expresscard slot as well so you really aren't any better off using one of those versus an external USB parallel dongle

Only two solutions:

1) Either an adapter as others have noted
2) An older laptop for this specific purpose

Older machines are all over the place, on eBay, craigslist, etc. But there are no manufacturers in the world today making notebook/laptop computers with actual 25 pin parallel ports on them... at least none that I'm aware of.

You can still find laptops that can take PCMCIA cards (most of Dell's Latitudes offer it as a free option instead of ExpressCard), and parallel port cards for those are easy to find. Still not sure it will work with your copy protection dongle though, you'll have to ask the vendor.

Uhm, buy a desktop? You're controlling a CNC machine. It's not like those typically need to move around...

And it has to be said: hardware dongles are the worst thing ever.

A docking station may have what you need....only thing I can really think of

You can still find laptops that can take PCMCIA cards (most of Dell's Latitudes offer it as a free option instead of ExpressCard), and parallel port cards for those are easy to find. Still not sure it will work with your copy protection dongle though, you'll have to ask the vendor.

Uhm, buy a desktop? You're controlling a CNC machine. It's not like those typically need to move around...

And it has to be said: hardware dongles are the worst thing ever.

I offered the desktop option. Because of where the engraver is going they want another notebook. If it comes down to it dell has a few refurb d series latitudes on their outlet and I can get one of them. I'd rather not get a system that old for this though.

Their techs didn't call me back yesterday so I need to put in another call. I need to know if they think it will work off a docking station. If so I'll order a newer latitude with the station and be done.

The E series dock doesn't have a parallel port on it, so you'd still have to go with an older D series system.

The ThinkPad Advanced Dock has a parallel port on it. You can get up to a T400 with a Montevina processor on it, which is only one generation behind current, compared to a D630 with Santa Rosa, which is two generations behind. So you'll get somewhat better performance. Check Lenovo Outlet.

Back