Notebook HD dead. Any change for data recovery?

KamaL

n00b
Hi all.
I know it's quite a common issue here, but i wanted to know if I still have some chances for fixing my HD.

My old IBM/HITACHI 60 GB 4200RPM 2.5" hard disk drive died yesterday. I bought a new HD with bigger capacity, and took the old one off my laptop and hooked it to an external enclosure to use it as a backup drive,

Then something ridiculous happened - while I was backing up the data on the old HD to the new one, it accidentally fell , and from that moment, I can't access it anymore :( I guess I should have backed it up even earlier.

Now, the HD is still "alive" somehow, when connecting it ti turns on for a couple of seconds, but that's it. the laptop can't access it at all, and using data recovery software like OnTrack, I can actually see the drive, but with a different capacity (350GB), without any possibility to recover any data.

I tried to install it back to the laptop, and right after the BIOS, I get this error:

Error: 1782 Disk controller failure

I read that this is because of a hardware failure, and most probably it is.

The question is - I need some files on this HD,is there anything left to try before sending it to a data recover company? Any chance I can manually fix it myself?

Thanks in advance

you can try getdataback from runtime.org, might work...but that error might mean its a goner

Back