Notebook fan and connector - need help

mshapiro3

n00b
Joined
Apr 28, 2007
Messages
13
I broke the plastic connector that leads by wire from the fan of my notebook to a receptacle on the motherboard. I want to buy either a new fan or a plastic connector into which I can insert the three wires from the fan..

My notebook is an Everex XT5000T notebook. Fujitsu also uses this fan for its Amilo Xa1526, Xa Amilo 1527, Amilo 2528, Amilo 2529 and Everex XT5300 notebooks.

All of these notebooks use the FIC XTB70 motherboard. The cooling fan has a plastic connector that plugs into pins on the motherboard. What is the receptacle on the motherboard called? What kind of connector from the fan plugs into it?
 
There is usually a model number on the fan from the actual manufacture - try google'ing it. Some of the 3rd party laptop parts providers are good about including all numbers relevant or not to parts in a system and can be found through search engines. With parts like this sometimes you have to swallow your pride and call the manufacture of the laptop.
 
Thank you for your reply.

I phoned Everex. They do not sell the fan to consumers. I wrote FIC and have not yet received a reply.

I will do a google search using the data on the fan.

Thanks for your suggestions.
 
<sarcasm>
Why would you even think they would sell you a $3 fan for $35 when they could get you to pay for shipping both ways, $150 in labor and $49 for the fan. Shame on you, you silly silly person
</sarcasm>

Make you think about buying Fujitsu again doesn't it?
Don't forget to post your findings.
 
Sarcasm noted and I could not agree with you more!

I copied the data from the actual fan:
model is: KSB0505HA
part number is: 21-20861-10.

The model number matches up with a number of fans used by HP. But, the screw hole placements are different than the XT5000T motherboard placements.

I did a google search and found a number of vendors advertising the fan but all were out of stock. Put my name on their waiting lists.

Went to three local computer repair shops to try to match up a connector with my notebook, Failed to find a match.

Unless I can find either a complete fan or a connector, my notebook will remain unavilable to me. I will wait only so long and as a last resort, but a new (non Everex or Fujitsu) brand notebook.

I have a fair investment in this one. The cost of the purchase, two hard drives, 4GB ram and a TL-60 processor. A shame that the lack of a fan prevents my using this system.
 
I cannot get the web address you list to open.

Nevertheless, the answer to your question ithe plastic object that broke was on the end of the wires leading from the fan. It is a very small 3-hole female plug that inserts into the 3-pin recepticle sitting on the motherboard.

It is much smaller than those connectors that plug into recepticles on my desktop computer.
 
Assuming you just pulled a wire out. You could strip some of the pulled wire back and re soldier it to the metal piece inside of that connector. Just expose some of the wire and stick it into the hole it came out of and put a small drop of melted soldier on top of it. The soldier should work its way into the hole with the wire and create a strong enough connection. If you don't want to do this a local computer shop should be able to do this for you.
 
Also that end piece you broke is common in many laptops. A local computer shop might have one out of a dead laptop that you could splice onto your fan.
 
Thank you. This morning I visited six computer repair shops in my area. None had either the fan or a connector that would fit into the motherboard socket.

I bit the bullet and hard wired the three wires from the fan to the three pins in the motherboard socket.

The computer works! I am very happy and relieved.

However, the next time I buy a lap top or notebook, I will determine before hand if replacement parts are sold by the maker. I do not want to go through this again (acknowledging that it was my clumsiness and shaky hands that broke the connector in the first place).
 
Back
Top