Notebook audio

Clockworks

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 23, 2004
Messages
5,269
Is there really that big of a difference between the integrated sound of a RealTek card and an Audigy 2 ZS? I was looking to purchase the card and I also heard that dedicated sound cards make a big difference in a desktop but I'm not so sure in a notebook.

I will be using the integrated speakers for some time but I plan to get a decent pair of headphones (between $50-$75, recommend me one of those too).

Thoughts?
 
It really depends on the hardware in the laptop. On my current laptop the audio isn't bad (decently clean output (though I use the digital port on my docking station to a standalone dac when available)).

On my old d600 i used to use, the onbaord was horrible. I could hear all the clicks from the hard drive accessing data.

basically i'd say try it out first, and see if it's good enough to you.
 
I have a D630, I know the internal speakers are poopy but I want to know if it would improve headphone quality.

I don't play many video games but I listen to music.
 
I have a D630, I know the internal speakers are poopy but I want to know if it would improve headphone quality.

I don't play many video games but I listen to music.

Well.. i don't bother with the onboard speakers. So far I've found the onboard to be decent. I wouldnt say the audigy 2 is much of an improvement (at least compared to the audigy 2 I had in my old desktop.

I'd either go with the onboard for now and see how it goes, or get a good usb soundcard to handle the audio for better performance.
 
Well.. i don't bother with the onboard speakers. So far I've found the onboard to be decent. I wouldnt say the audigy 2 is much of an improvement (at least compared to the audigy 2 I had in my old desktop.

I'd either go with the onboard for now and see how it goes, or get a good usb soundcard to handle the audio for better performance.

Since I wouldn't see that big of a difference, I think I'm just going to buy a decent pair of headphones and call it good enough.
 
Back
Top