Note for all TRUE owners.

NukeULater

Gawd
I just wanted to tell anyone that owns or is going to own a TRUE. Get a 38mm thick fan I just received the H1 Panaflo (see the link below). It cut 5C off my temps, well worth the $16 IMO. I had a high speed Yate Loon (80CFM 40dB) on it before but it hardly pushed any air through the fins.

So once again, get 38mm thick fans the static pressure really does matter with this heatsink.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=403&products_id=477

Scythe's Ultra Kaze is another excellent 38mm thick fan that does very well with close-finned heatsink designs like the TRUE.

Can anyone else confirm they got a performance increase with 38mm fans?

I use a scythe s-flex 1200rpm 25mm. It seems to work alright. I get a 10c performance delta between idle and full load temps.

I don't have any 38mm fans floating around, but I've got decent temps using Scythe Slipstream and Noctua and even Silenx... pretty much all the same with a degree or two variation

also tried the Antec Tri-Cools but they didn't seem to perform well, using two of them was actually higher temps than using just the single tri-cool

I don't have any 38mm fans floating around, but I've got decent temps using Scythe Slipstream and Noctua and even Silenx... pretty much all the same with a degree or two variation

also tried the Antec Tri-Cools but they didn't seem to perform well, using two of them was actually higher temps than using just the single tri-cool
I haven't tested any other fans except th the panaflo H1, and the high speed yate loons. I should have tested my new scythe s-flex on my TRUE, but they push less air than the yate's I had.

Off topic but I have to ask. dracos, weren't you a member of the maximumpc forums at one time? I've seen that name floating around in the modding folder.

Head over to the SilentPCReview forums if you're looking for 120mm fan performance with restriction. Several members have done multi-fan reviews, wherein they determine the best role for each fan tested.

I just wanted to tell anyone that owns or is going to own a TRUE. Get a 38mm thick fan I just received the H1 Panaflo (see the link below). It cut 5C off my temps, well worth the $16 IMO. I had a high speed Yate Loon (80CFM 40dB) on it before but it hardly pushed any air through the fins.

So once again, get 38mm thick fans the static pressure really does matter with this heatsink.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=403&products_id=477
I already have mine ready in case two Noctua 1300's in a push pull config don't do the job.

I haven't tested any other fans except th the panaflo H1, and the high speed yate loons. I should have tested my new scythe s-flex on my TRUE, but they push less air than the yate's I had.

Off topic but I have to ask. dracos, weren't you a member of the maximumpc forums at one time? I've seen that name floating around in the modding folder.

yep that be me!.. I used to pop by every once in a while, but I've become so busy I only frequent a couple forums now... it's hard to be active in too many places and still find time to work and sleep!

oh and I'm finishing my review of the TRUE, writing it now actually.. but I tested it using the Scythe Slipstream 1200rpm, SilenX iXtrema Pro, Noctua NF-P12 and a couple Antec Tri-Cools for good measure... I did testing on both C2Q and C2D and from my results the SlipStream works well when using the C2Q, only a degree lower though than the others... and usiong C2D it's about the same...

Confirmed, 5C improvement on my Ultima90 with a 38mm deep fan. Same RPM, same CFM (slightly more advertised CFM on the 25mm deep) and same DBa.

Confirmed, 5C improvement on my Ultima90 with a 38mm deep fan. Same RPM, same CFM (slightly more advertised CFM on the 25mm deep) and same DBa.
Did you put a 92mm or 120mm on it? I read 92x38 can't be used on it because the clips aren't compatible with the thicker fans.

Did you put a 92mm or 120mm on it? I read 92x38 can't be used on it because the clips aren't compatible with the thicker fans.

120mm... I took one look at the clips it came with and left 'em in the box, I'm using the clips from my Ninja instead. I also decided to pass on the spring-loaded screws that mounted the Ultima90 and just used regular screws instead, and carefully tightened them til it was nice and solid. The spring-screws were too tall, they interfered with a 120mm fan centering on the heatsink.

ive had S-flex F, Slipstream 1600rpm, and Ultra Kaze 2000RPM on my TRUE. i didnt get a 5c decrease but when i put 2 slipstreams on push/pull i got a 4C decrease.

Well here's testing on stock C2D 6420:

true38.JPG

Non lapped TRUE, using Arctic Cooling MX-2
ambient room temp is 19C (+/- .3C)

fans are with TRUE are:

SilenX iXtrema Pro 120mm
Model: IXP-74-14
1400 RPM

Scythe 120mm Slip Stream
Model: SY1225SL12M
1200 rpm

Antec Tri-Cool 120mm fan
3-speeds (only low and high used for testing)
low- 1200rpm
high- 2200 rpm

and here's testing on the Q6600 stock ghz

true40.JPG

same fans, ambient, but added Noctua NF-P12 120mm fan to mix

I just removed the Yate Loon from my TRUE and installed a spare NMB 38mm thick fan and my temps just dropped 5C while running Orthos. My max temp is now 47C. The new fan also turns about 500 RPM faster and makes more noise :)

Back