Note Book Cooler pads

Format _C:

2[H]4U
Do They really work? I was thinking about buying one as my laptop runs hot now. Toshiba Satellite A45-S121
Celeron 2.8
40GB
512MB
CDRW/DVD
ETC
So are those cooler pads worth it?

the crappy 3 fan pad off ebay is actually not crappy at all, it just looks that way, it droped my notebook temps by 8 degrees

before spending on those pads, you might want to fashion some sort of stand offs that would allow some airflow under your laptop.

it depends on the notebook. if your notebook has vents on the bottom it will help, but if it has them on the sides like mine, moving air across the bottom of the notebook does almost nothing.

i have the antec laptop cooler.

I reviewed and evaluated several of them when they first started coming out a couple of years back. They do work, to varying degrees. Even some of the passive ones work alright, but the active ones with fans do a very good job of cooling the bottom off.

Even with no fans vents on the bottom my (now dead) Dell 8600 laptop, an active 2-fan notebook cooler kept my laptop cool enough that it didnt need the internal fans to ever kick in while under low-mild load. On during gaming sessions did the internal fans kick in. Minimal internal dust accumulation due to this external cooler!

the one on ebay has rubber feet to bump the laptop up about 4-5mm it has excelent airflow underneath, its not neccesarilly cooling off your cpu, its cooling off your memory and HDD so they can actually last maybe as long as a desktop HDD and ram. with no cooling the ram and HDD get too hot to touch. if the cooling pad dies who cares.. its only 10 dollars

I have the Antec pad, and I am pretty impressed with it. Under load, my fans hardly run unless I am gaming with it on. It's quite surprising as when on battery and throttled down, its gets scorching hot.

meh, im just gonna keep mine standard. its under warrenty, so if it melts, dell will buy me a new one

BriguyNJ said:
before spending on those pads, you might want to fashion some sort of stand offs that would allow some airflow under your laptop.
i second this. i just put a book under the back of my lappy, and cleaned dust off of the fan grates, and it has just dropped 5 degrees C. it runs a lot better now too.

EchoMatrix said:
meh, im just gonna keep mine standard. its under warrenty, so if it melts, dell will buy me a new one

do you really want to fight with dell customer service?

I have a Targus cooling pad, with four pretty big fans, about 5in. diameter. The notebook is an eMachines M6580, it generally runs pretty cool , but i picked up the cooling pad when I leave it on for long periods of time , and it does actually help. I have lowered my temp by about 7 degrees

I have a 4-fan cooling pad i paid like $15 for. It is black and entirely made of cheap plastic. It draws its power from 5volts dc which it came with a usb so it can draw it off your laptops usb ports. It also has a fan speed adjust and an on/off switch. Now it is built like total crap, and feels very flimsy, but it does a damn good job in cooling. One of the fans did start to make some noise because of a bearing going out, so I had to unscrew it and disable that one, but on the pad my fan never comes on unless i'm doing some serious processing. Of course I have a pentium-m 2ghz so a p4 will probably still need its side fan.

Back