Note 7

XBarbarian

[H]ard|Gawd
I need a new phone. from limited searching, its seems the Note 7 is due in a week or two, right?

had a note 3, loved it, now have a droid turbo 1 which seems to be dying...

been holding out for the next Note

It'll be announced tomorrow. Availability will probably be within a few weeks of the announcement or up to a 6 weeks maybe depending on what carrier you're on, as some carriers tend to drag ass a bit more than others on new phone availability. I'm guessing you're on Verizon with a Droid though, and they haven't been too bad in that regard this past year or so.

I'm sure it'll be a solid phone, as all previous Notes have been. It's expected that this year's Note will bring the waterproof characteristics from the S-line, along with bringing back the expandable memory that was missing from last year's Note5 and GS6. It may even be the first phone to support Samsung's new expandable UFS storage cards (I doubt it though) along with some new Iris scanner authentication (seems all but confirmed at this point). So I'm sure it'll be a nice upgrade for anyone running a pre-2016 phone.

I'm interested to see what they have on offer. I've owned a Note 2,3,4 and 5... but...

1. They haven't been delivering on security updates (on my carrier in Canada anyhow, currently at May 1st which came with Android M)
2. Android M didn't come until May 31st...
3. They screwed me by only selling a 32gb model in Canada. I noticed a 64mb model now but that seems to be a recent development. I'm not buying another 32gb phone. No micro SD combined with GEAR VR has resulted in a full phone...

Having said all that, I've really liked my Note devices... I don't know if I would be happier with a Google/Nexus device or not. I know I have grown to like the QI charging on my Note 5 aND the grest camera...

thanks for the responses. I did love that Note 3. I loved this Droid Turbo 1 too, but alas the battery life dropped off, and I'm ready for shiny newness. I'm also ready to go back to a slightly larger screen... yes, I'm on Verizon.

thanks for the responses. I did love that Note 3. I loved this Droid Turbo 1 too, but alas the battery life dropped off, and I'm ready for shiny newness. I'm also ready to go back to a slightly larger screen... yes, I'm on Verizon.

The Note 7 announcement is today at 11AM EST.

I've owned a Note 2 and now Note 4 and swear by them. I use my phone more like a laptop and keep most of my life and business on them so the extra screen and power are awfully nice to have. The size can be a hassle sometimes but really only if you put a case on them. Still worth it IMO. The Note 7 will be my next phone in a few months when I upgrade. No need to fix something that ain't broke.

Well, the Galaxy Note 7 is official.

You're not going to kick yourself if you bought an S7 edge, and it probably won't get you to toss out your Note 5, but it's a tangible upgrade. Slick design, iris scanner and all the upgrades from the S7. Shows up August 19th, too, so you don't have to wait long.

Color me unimpressed. Big feeling of meh.

Sure the Note 7 is an upgrade over the Note 5, that's easy with the small battery and no SD card on the Note 5. But other than that, I'm not all that impressed with the Note 7. it ships with the old and soon to be outdated Android Marshmallow, with Android N officially releasing before the Note 7 hits retail stores, meaning you'll be waiting until Spring 2017 until the Note 7 gets N.

And it's still Touchwiz, yeah yeah I know, Touchwiz has been improved. But it's still a laggy slowdown after 6+ months of use. My Wife has the Note 5, and it's almost one year old, and it's pretty laggy now, whereas compared to when she first got it, was warp speed fast, smooth as butter, but over time it starts to get choppy, like those old Windows 95 PC's.

My Wife also had the Galaxy S6, same thing happened, at first was a super fast and smooth phone, but many months later, a different story.

Now my Nexus 6P, I've had a while now, it still feels snappy fast, and smooth as butter, no different than the first day I got it. And I will get Android N right away this month.

To me the only smartphones to buy, are the iPhone Plus version, or the premium Nexus phone.

I eagerly await the incoming impressions videos from reviewers but this will probably be the year I skip the Note and look toward Nexus. I don't think I like the curved screens, I already have enough trouble with accidental input on the edges of my Note 5...

It's nice to see water resistance finally making its way to the Note but honestly, you might as well just buy an S7 Edge which is basically the same phone minus the S Pen and IMHO useless iris scanner...

Wait, did I miss something or did they skip the Note 6? Why do companies do this nonsense ;o

If they can get an Unlocked model to the US then I'll probably pick one up to replace my Note 5. If not, then probably not. I had to jump through a whole bunch of hoops to get an Unlocked International Note 5 from Singapore last year and I really don't care to do that again.

A rumor a few months ago mentioned an unlocked model passing through the FCC, so that gives me hope.

Zorachus makes a good point.. the Nexus 6P.. being pure... no bloat.. is tempting.. and there's the $100 off deal atm.. BUT.. when would the Nexus 7 be announced? generally late September right? hmm.. grab a discounted Nexus 6P, a Note 7, or wait for Nexus 7 now...

Note 7 looks great but can't justify purchase based on the price. I'll pick one up used from Swappa down the road.

I'd take the $499 HTC Nexus Marlin over the $850+ Note 7 any day of the week;

Google Phone "Marlin" Nexus by HTC
• Display: 5.5-inch QHD (2K 2560 x 1440) AMOLED
• Processor: Quad-core 2.0GHz 64-bit (Qualcomm Snapdragon 821)
• RAM: 4GB
• Battery: 3450mAh
• Internal Storage: 32GB / 128GB
• Cameras: 12MP rear camera, 8MP front
• Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, rear-mounted
• Connectivity: USB-C, Bluetooth 4.2
• Speaker: "bottom-firing"
• Headphone Jack: Yes

I'm very disappointed by this phone. I've been milking my ancient Note 2 for far too long. I skipped the Note 5 last year because I was pissed over the non-removable battery and lack of SD card. I was almost set on getting a Note 7, as long as they released a flat-screen version. I fucking HATE the curved screen of the "edge" phones. Looks like I'll be looking at the Nexus devices now. I'd actually rather just keep using my Note 2 than get a phone with that gag-inducing curved screen.

Wait, did I miss something or did they skip the Note 6? Why do companies do this nonsense ;o

Their galaxy S series has always been one number ahead of their note series. Unfortunately there are too many tards out there that can't handle anything more detailed than a number. If you compare a "Note 6" to an S7, many would automatically assume that the "Note 6" was a year older simply because 7 is a higher number than 6. This move simply brings both phone lines up to parity in that regard. A side benefit is that it makes all existing note models seem older. "What? You have a Note 5??? That model is 2 generations old now! I just got a Note 7, LOL!"

And it's still Touchwiz, yeah yeah I know, Touchwiz has been improved. But it's still a laggy slowdown after 6+ months of use. My Wife has the Note 5, and it's almost one year old, and it's pretty laggy now, whereas compared to when she first got it, was warp speed fast, smooth as butter, but over time it starts to get choppy, like those old Windows 95 PC's.

Sounds like an app issue. Many apps run in the background, even start automatically (if you reboot the phone for example). Enough of those and yeah, your phone will slow down. That has nothing to do with touchwiz though. I have an old Note 2 and it really has not slowed down over time. Neither has my brother's one-year-old Note 5 or either of the two-year-old S5 phones that my parents have. Of course, I make it a point to help them get rid of apps that "accidentally" get installed on their phones.

I would try the phone out before saying the edge is shitty. It looks much more subtle than the GS6/GS7 edge and might not be too bad. The iPhone 6s has that slight curve at the edge and it's pretty useful, although that's not a "usable" part of the screen(it' part of the bezel).

I'd take the $499 HTC Nexus Marlin over the $850+ Note 7 any day of the week;

Google Phone "Marlin" Nexus by HTC
• Display:
5.5-inch QHD (2K 2560 x 1440) AMOLED
• Processor: Quad-core 2.0GHz 64-bit (Qualcomm Snapdragon 821)
• RAM: 4GB
• Battery: 3450mAh
• Internal Storage: 32GB / 128GB
• Cameras: 12MP rear camera, 8MP front
• Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, rear-mounted
• Connectivity: USB-C, Bluetooth 4.2
• Speaker: "bottom-firing"
• Headphone Jack: Yes

Me as well but I do hope that the HTC Nexus is a physically smaller footprint than the 6P while retaining the 5.5" screen.

I'm very disappointed by this phone. I've been milking my ancient Note 2 for far too long. I skipped the Note 5 last year because I was pissed over the non-removable battery and lack of SD card. I was almost set on getting a Note 7, as long as they released a flat-screen version. I fucking HATE the curved screen of the "edge" phones. Looks like I'll be looking at the Nexus devices now. I'd actually rather just keep using my Note 2 than get a phone with that gag-inducing curved screen.

I'm in the same situation and also still stuck on the Note 2.. My wife has the s7 edge and I can't stand it.
Another thing that throws me off the Note 7 is the small battery. Was hoping for a 4000 mAh battery like the s7 active and a snapdragon 821, but it seems like the difference from the galaxy S phones and the "big brother" Note doesn't exist anymore, as they are pretty much the same now.

Me as well but I do hope that the HTC Nexus is a physically smaller footprint than the 6P while retaining the 5.5" screen.

The 6P has a 5.7" screen, unless you're referencing the rumored specs Zorachus cites.

Note 7 is pretty much exactly as I called it in post #2 and what most others expected, which is a solid upgrade/device over the previous Note5 (which my wife has and is still a good phone for her). For now I'm a Nexus snob though and will stick with my 6P for the forseeable future. I'm sure I'll skip the new Nexus phones this year too since I can't imagine them offering much over the 6P other than updated hardware.

I thought I could do it but I don't know that I can... $880 plus tax is ridiculous! Might check out the Axon7.

I just can't go back to SuckWiz. I'll be checking out the Nexus 7, despite its fingerprint sensor on the back, and new iPhone. If neither win me over, I have no problem staying with my HTC 10 until next year's new phones are available.

People who buy phones for full retail on day one are crazy; who knows what fatal bugs or design flaws may crop up in the first couple weeks. At least wait for the full reviews and see what some of the tech blogs/forums are saying about it before deciding to ensure you'll be happy with it. Plus, as with virtually any (non-Apple) phone, you know it's going to be on sale somewhere for a nice discount within a few months. The GS7 was on sale on eBay for under $600 within days of its launch. Or buy used for even cheaper and still have a manufacturer warranty.

As someone who has Owned Note 3/4/5, honestly, I might be finally going Apple. Samsung phones are top of the line, no doubt, but I'm getting sick of waiting forever for updates and just slow down/lag with their native OS ontop of Android. I feel like going pure Nexus is the only way to really prevent that as per:
Now my Nexus 6P, I've had a while now, it still feels snappy fast, and smooth as butter, no different than the first day I got it. And I will get Android N right away this month.

To me the only smartphones to buy, are the iPhone Plus version, or the premium Nexus phone.

The battery on my Note 5 is my biggest gripe. It was great at the beginning but with multiple apps/updates/plus having the Samsung Gear watch, I'm literally down to ~25% battery before 4pm coming off the charger at 7am while my friend's Apple 6s Plus has been off the charger since 6:30am, and is only down to 79% at 1pm after fairly heavy use plus Apple Watch plus letting his 1.5 year old watch video for an hour on LTE. Seems like if I go on long trips, if I don't have a battery bank I'm screwed. I've tried everything, every factory resetting and it still sucks. And I don't want to have to manually limit apps via other apps. I just want the dang thing to work.

true. that was my experience with the note 3, and now the droid turbo 1. first year, both were amazing. by the end of the first year, battery life was collapsing, to half the previous battery life.

Well the first impressions videos are in... I was hesitant with the Note 5 last year but I do really like it except for the 32GB of storage and no micro SD I got stuck with...

This year, there's literally nothing to get excited about for me, Samsung / Canadian carriers have proven that keeping these flagship phones up to date with Android security updates isn't a priority and that getting Android M out in a reasonable time frame also wasn't a priority (May 31st release date here in Canada)...and... the price. Wow. It's literally almost 2x the price of my Note 5 last year. (Doing the math, technically 1.6x) Seriously WTF? I'm not overly price sensitive when it comes to buying my phones but I'm not paying almost double for this.

Aw well, I'll move along and find something that suits me or for the first time in years, I may end up keeping my current phone past the one year mark...

I'll still look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts here when they get their hands on a Note 7.

Hmmm... I can also mirror similar battery life issues with my Samsung Galaxy S5. In the beginning I was ALWAYS using it and always talking on it for work. It would be down to around 40% at the end of a very hard day for any phone. Now I'm down to 50% by 3pm with fairly light use. Barely use it at all compared to when I first got it.

yep. after reading the pro nexus comments here.. think ill avoid note 7 and get a nexus... haven't had one yet.. may as well..

now.. save the $ and grab the 6P with the current $100 off at play.. or wait til next month for the nexus 7...

yep. after reading the pro nexus comments here.. think ill avoid note 7 and get a nexus... haven't had one yet.. may as well..

now.. save the $ and grab the 6P with the current $100 off at play.. or wait til next month for the nexus 7...

My rule: unless money is really tight, hold off. You'll probably kick yourself when the New Shiny shows up.

Well..... I pre-ordered one. I couldn't resist and the new Samsung VR was included for free.

I owned only one Note, 3. It was also the best phone I've had (and I've had quite a few, including iPhone 5/6 and MS Lumia).
Currently using S6 Edge Plus and iPhone 6 (hate the iPhone but I must use it because of work).
Yeah the curved screen is a gimmick and often annoying as it makes me swap the wrong way (or not at all), but Note 7 seems to have thicker frame.
It will be a nice upgrade, especially in the battery department. I want a waterproof phone and I missed that pen.

I also don't understand why people STILL whine about TouchWiz. It takes literally a couple of minutes to replace it with something much better. I use Nova. And I would use it regardless if I was replacing TouchWiz, HTC Sense or something else.

Well..... I pre-ordered one. I couldn't resist and the new Samsung VR was included for free.

I owned only one Note, 3. It was also the best phone I've had (and I've had quite a few, including iPhone 5/6 and MS Lumia).
Currently using S6 Edge Plus and iPhone 6 (hate the iPhone but I must use it because of work).
Yeah the curved screen is a gimmick and often annoying as it makes me swap the wrong way (or not at all), but Note 7 seems to have thicker frame.
It will be a nice upgrade, especially in the battery department. I want a waterproof phone and I missed that pen.

I also don't understand why people STILL whine about TouchWiz. It takes literally a couple of minutes to replace it with something much better. I use Nova. And I would use it regardless if I was replacing TouchWiz, HTC Sense or something else.

I don't get the touchwiz stuff either. I think people just parrot that back from hearing people say it. I literally can barely tell the difference between my S7 Edge and other android phones I've owned recently in terms of the UI. My last three phones were LG G Flex 2, Sony Xperia Z Ultra GPE, and Nexus 4. Two of those were stock Android.

I might buy a Note 7 on the used market down the road. I really like the S7 Edge now though. No real complaints about it.

true. that was my experience with the note 3, and now the droid turbo 1. first year, both were amazing. by the end of the first year, battery life was collapsing, to half the previous battery life.

sounds like a reception/usage/app problem, my note 3 was an early release one (had the shipping firmware with the knox flag trip bug that allowed root w/o tripping the flag) and i still have the original battery. I get 8+ hours depending on if i have wifi tether on all day too.

I waited for the note 7 to get removable storage again, but im not really happy with the idea of having it in the same tray as the SIM card so hopefully i can pull the SD and swap it w/o having to reboot due to the sim coming out with the SD card (not sure if that is how it works)

I ordered a note7 black, then saw the commercial about pre-ordering getting you a 256gb uSDXC or some watch. so i have to go back and ask about that

I waited for the note 7 to get removable storage again, but im not really happy with the idea of having it in the same tray as the SIM card so hopefully i can pull the SD and swap it w/o having to reboot due to the sim coming out with the SD card (not sure if that is how it works)

I have a Huawei P9 Plus with the dual sim/MicroSD slot and can remove the tray without a reboot. The S7 Edge has one too but I am not sure if you need to reboot.

I don't get the touchwiz stuff either. I think people just parrot that back from hearing people say it. I literally can barely tell the difference between my S7 Edge and other android phones I've owned recently in terms of the UI. My last three phones were LG G Flex 2, Sony Xperia Z Ultra GPE, and Nexus 4. Two of those were stock Android.

I might buy a Note 7 on the used market down the road. I really like the S7 Edge now though. No real complaints about it.

There are still a few good reasons why people aren't fans of TouchWiz.

First: there are reports that it still tends to bog down over time. It's great in the first few weeks, but half a year later it's feeling pokey. I'm sure it's inconsistent, but you shouldn't feel like you have to reset your phone to get performance back.

The other bit is Samsung's continued tendency toward needless duplication. There are still multiple instances where there are Google and Samsung apps that do the same thing, and the Samsung app may not have much of an advantage over the Google version. Contrast that with HTC, which only has apps when it can provide a meaningful advantage.

Just looked at MKBHD's preview of the Note 7 and wasn't impressed, not even by the "retina scanner" either, guess I'm just bored with smartphones in this day and age and all the gimmicks they keep coming up with to sell them for ridiculously higher and higher prices.

There are still a few good reasons why people aren't fans of TouchWiz.

First: there are reports that it still tends to bog down over time. It's great in the first few weeks, but half a year later it's feeling pokey. I'm sure it's inconsistent, but you shouldn't feel like you have to reset your phone to get performance back.

The other bit is Samsung's continued tendency toward needless duplication. There are still multiple instances where there are Google and Samsung apps that do the same thing, and the Samsung app may not have much of an advantage over the Google version. Contrast that with HTC, which only has apps when it can provide a meaningful advantage.

So yea, pretty much BS.

Back