Note 2 dying, what next?

Kueller

Supreme [H]ardness
My trusty Note 2 (VZW) started displaying graphical artifacts today. Even after a full shutdown and battery removal. I have no complaints, it lasted me beyond 2 years, but I think it's time for something new. Out of contract, so I don't have a problem switching carriers, though I would like to stick with VZW or ATT networks, the rural coverage from Sprint/TMo isn't great here in Ohio.

I would like something smaller than the Note 2, it was just a bit too big for me to work properly one-handed and a pain to get out of pockets when seated.

Looking for the best deal I can get on 2GB or more data service + device so please let me know what's out there, MVNO's are fine in theory, as long as they also work in practice.

Switch to Cricket, Straight Talk, or Net10 and get an AT&T compatible GSM/LTE phone, such as OnePlus One, Nexus 6, Moto X, or wait for the upcoming Nexus 5 (2015) or the OnePlus Two. If you do decide to wait, you could get yourself a cheap Moto G2 or Moto E2 (LTE), or even the Amazon Fire Phone when it's having a sale.

I'd try reflashing the firmware, wiping cache and doing factory reset on the Note II to rule out software glitch. Then, follow Jony Ive's video to reseat the display ribbon at 8:30:

https://youtu.be/UT-2zrZ_aNo?t=510

For service, stick with Verizon MVNO or prepaid.

http://bestmvno.com/verizon-mvnos.html

Can't beat the $40 ($20-25 when on sale) 1st gen Moto G that's better quality than iPhone 6 if you're fine with 3G until 3rd gen comes out. And, it seems to be easy to enable free hotspot with Airdroid or equivalent.

I'll definitely give reseating the display cable a try before I go buying a new phone.

How much smaller because the note 2 was basically the last big phablet after that Samsung really nailed down the efficiency in the bezel and so on. A note 3 or 4 is much smaller in the hand than a note 2.

How much smaller because the note 2 was basically the last big phablet after that Samsung really nailed down the efficiency in the bezel and so on. A note 3 or 4 is much smaller in the hand than a note 2.

I might just have small hands but I definitely felt like the Note 4 needed a big finger stretch to reach things like the notification panel.

If you wanna go down the Note route again OP you should probably try it out in store before you buy it to get a feel for how it'll be in your hand.

Where at in Ohio? I'm down in southern ohio and AT&T does pretty good.

Central Ohio, but I travel all over the state. I had ATT a few years ago and service was acceptable, as is VZW service. T-Mo and Sprint both have crappy coverage in the SE part of the state as soon as you get off US-33/35.

Having looked things over I'm currently leaning toward an LG G3 (purchased outright) on Straighttalk's $45/mo 3GB LTE data plan (5GB if you BYOD, which I will).
Similar screen size to my Note2, smaller size overall, microSD and removable battery, checks most of the boxes. Do I actually want the G4? Yes, but the G3 is much cheaper.

Back