Notable upgrade to CF 4870?

Vincent Vega

Limp Gawd
I currently have Crossfire 4870 512MB cards running in my i7 setup.

I am looking for an upgrade, preferably in the form of a single card. Would the GTX 295 accomplish this? Or a GTX 285 2GB?

Thanks for the input.

Not at this moment in time no.

Wait till the new cards come out, shouldn't be more than a few months.

Seriously, there is nothing out there that for the money will give large enough improvements.

if you are gaming in 25x16, a gtx285 or gtx295 would be a noticable improvement, however if you game at 19x12 any improvements would be minor, I would suggest waiting till next video card gen in the fall.

Last edited:
Rats, I do have a 30inch, gaming usually at 25x16.

If the next generation of graphics is due in a few months, I guess I can wait up for GTX 3xx to hit the shelves.

Minor ?? GTX295 is about 15% faster then 4870X2 which is faster by same 10% then
2X 4870 Crossfire, so its not minor.But yes i do agree wait for the new generation cards ;)

the 512mb 4870, even in crossfire does not handle 25x16 too well, however this late, the next gen is looking to be a few months away, since it appears that the ati 5x series will launch with windows 7 at the latest, might even come sooner.

Minor ?? GTX295 is about 15% faster then 4870X2 which is faster by same 10% then
2X 4870 Crossfire, so its not minor.But yes i do agree wait for the new generation cards ;)

GTX 295 is not 15% faster in any possible way.... unless 4870CF is on 512MB, that is different story..

its more like 5% ish to 8% compare to X2..

anyway, since you are on a i7 rig, and if you are welling to spend the cash, 285 SLI or 4890 CF would be a really good choice..

I upgrade my ATI rig from 4870CF 512VRAM to XFX 4890 XT CF, I have to say I am really impress of how this beast works..

but if you still want a dual GPU with single card, GTX 295 will be a choice when you can find a single PCB, else its not really a option..

but if you still want a dual GPU with single card, GTX 295 will be a choice when you can find a single PCB, else its not really a option..

The EVGA COOP 295 board is single PCB, as far as I know... I think I may pick it up and later complement it with another one, when the time comes.

The EVGA COOP 295 board is single PCB, as far as I know... I think I may pick it up and later complement it with another one, when the time comes.

quad SLI is not really a good option..

most game takes up SLI, some Tri-SLI...Quad SLI is out of answer...

so my best suggestion is if you really going for GTX 295, don't make a Quad SLI out of it....

quad SLI is not really a good option..

most game takes up SLI, some Tri-SLI...Quad SLI is out of answer...

so my best suggestion is if you really going for GTX 295, don't make a Quad SLI out of it....
True, I have read the same. I, in no way, have the desire to run tri-SLI. Following your setup, I actually looked into CF 4890s, seems like a potent dual setup and cheaper than dual GTX 285s.

True, I have read the same. I, in no way, have the desire to run tri-SLI. Following your setup, I actually looked into CF 4890s, seems like a potent dual setup and cheaper than dual GTX 285s.

4890CF is a beast I have to say, and I have bought 4 of them.. 2 of them replace my on my 8800 GTX rig
4x4890

2 of them OC up to 960Mhz in core without a problem, the other 2 up to 985/990 ..

this is all without voltage increase, with RivaTuner, all of them can go up to 1G without a problem...

and I have to say, 4890 is a cheap card, and it runs like a beast..

but I have a problem with it while running Crysis benchmark, it have no fps drop when I push up fps up to 8xAA with 43fps on very high DX10 1680*1050.... and there is no way to be CPU bottleneck....

what are you trying to prove, we all know Quad Crossfire does not scale well in Crysis...

and for some reason Crysis benchmark is way off chart....

I had my GTX 295, its a bit better than 4870CF, but there is no real improvement in gaming experience...

remember, GTX 295 is a strip down of GTX 275, performance a bit higher than GTX 260..

no idea what you trying to prove there..

and please post some legit review next time, not some review with random numbers on there..

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTYwOCw5LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTU5OSw2LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Too bad you don't have 1GB cards. 4870 1GBs in CF are monsters. It'll be a while before I upgrade.

Thats from my personal experience,i dont try to proof anything i just got alot better
gameplay with GTX295 smooth/more fps then 4870X2 in my case is more then 10/15 %
just like those reviews.Dont know about yours tbh.

Thats from my personal experience,i dont try to proof anything i just got alot better
gameplay with GTX295 smooth/more fps then 4870X2 in my case is more then 10/15 %
just like those reviews.Dont know about yours tbh.

you probably have some old driver install, or bad one, or maybe some bad cards..

I have purchase a 4870X2 in the past, and it gone a bit worse than my 4870CF... no idea what is going on there..so I send it back for replacement..

after they send it back, its a whole different story....

so this might be the same for your case....

Back