not sure what to do (if anything)

Yashu

[H]ard|Gawd
well I traded with a guy for a 6800ultra, and I get the card... it is not packed well... the card had no padding and the box barely fit the card.

next, I spend two days trying to get it to work... and eventually it won't even boot at all. the card is DOA, basically.

it is a BFG, so I think I can RMA it... I hope.

the seller did agree to have it shipped here by a certain date... and I want to believe that he thought the card was working fine before he sent it. it certainly looked used anyhow.. dusty and a damaged heatsink... but that damage could have happened in shipping since the card was not padded. but who knows?

anyway... I suppose these are the breaks when trading... I have traded before with good results. but I am stuck on my old extra 9800pro while I will be waiting for the hopeful RMA.

hehe... maybe there is nothing that can be done... and I just wanted to vent... who knows.

well it's just a couple fins on the heatsink that are slightly bent. and why it won't even boot, it doesn't look like it is missing any components... so it is worth a try.

If bfg wont RMA it i would take the heatsink off the card and get some 99.953 isoporpol(SP?) alcohol place the card into a container and alcohol then let it sit overnight. After that take and let it dry for 2 days and see if that works.

well I get intermittent video...

when it does work it complains about not having enough power... the nvidia sentinel.

however, I have tested 400w, 480w, 550w.... good brands, antec and similar. plenty of amps on the 12v and 5v rails... far more then minimum req.

I have tried every plug combination and it still gives the sentinel. So, I think the card is broken. the power sensor or the temp sensor... something.

it needs to be RMA'd or if BFG has a bios update that will fix it.

I am going to call on monday.

this card is definately damaged in some way.

Yashu said:
well I get intermittent video...

when it does work it complains about not having enough power... the nvidia sentinel.

however, I have tested 400w, 480w, 550w.... good brands, antec and similar. plenty of amps on the 12v and 5v rails... far more then minimum req.

I have tried every plug combination and it still gives the sentinel. So, I think the card is broken. the power sensor or the temp sensor... something.

it needs to be RMA'd or if BFG has a bios update that will fix it.

I am going to call on monday.

this card is definately damaged in some way.

Did you plug in the extra power to the card its self?

yes... I have done everything that can be done, save for taking the damn card and tossing it out a window from frustration.

I have tried every power plug option.

Quite simply ask for a refund/tradeback. The seller can RMA the card themselves. It should not be your responsibility to deal with shipping damage or a piece of hardware that did not arrive in the agreed upon condition. Do you have a link to the original FS/T thread where the card was described?

VA

I agree, ship the card back for a full refund of your original purchase price (including shipping).

BUT, before you do, try it in another computer just to be sure.

Again to echo others, return to the seller/other trader. It was poorly shipped and DOA, then it is the other person's responsiblity, not yours. Also, the other person should reimburse you for the cost of sending it back to him/her...That would be the right thing to do.
Have you uninstall the previous video driver and install the new one? I would also make sure that the video fan is working.
Sorry for your trouble.

but what if he doesn't want to send my trade part back? I mean... it is a sticky situation.

I am calling BFG tomorrow and if they agree to RMA the card I will send it to them and get a fresh one.

@VA, we discussed the deal in PM, not much info on the actual thread related to the final trade.

Yashu said:
but what if he doesn't want to send my trade part back? I mean... it is a sticky situation.

I am calling BFG tomorrow and if they agree to RMA the card I will send it to them and get a fresh one.

@VA, we discussed the deal in PM, not much info on the actual thread related to the final trade.

I always keep my PMs/emails for a while after a trade. Then there is no... "I told you that" or "no, you didn't".

If BFG will give an RMA for the card, then that's the best deal. However, give the seller the option of taking the card back for a refund or paying your shipping costs to BFG.

I contacted the guy I traded with, but have not heard back yet.

I am going to try and RMA the card... I had the RMA people on the phone... I was on hold and I had to take another call... but will try tomorrow maybe again during a less busy time at work or on off hours.

maybe I will get lucky and the guy will trade back or pay for me to ship the card to BFG.

I was supposed to be pwning noobs with the 6800 on last friday... but after all the problems I bought an x850 pro so I can have something while all this sorts out.

If the part came poorly packed and doa i'd say just leave him the appropriate feedback and RMA the card. BFG comes with lifetime warrenty so as long as all the OEM parts are on there, then there's a 90% chance you'll get a 6800ultra back in no time, if not an even more powerful card if they don't have any more ultras = )

be nice to the RMA guys....when I sent my 6800GTOC in to BFG, I got an advanced RMA, and I got a 7800GTOC in 3 days.....I got an upgrade, sweet!

I am going to try RMA.

the person offered to pay to ship my card to BFG... I just need to get past their forever long holds on the phone.

Back