Not so hot Opteron 165?

hetsaq

Gawd
Well I got my Opteron today, it is a 0551 CCBWE UPMW, and this thing just will NOT go higher then 233x9 @ stock voltage, I tried 240x9 at 1.475 and I just BSOD or lock up. It is not a memory issue due to the fact that I had a 3800+ X2 @ 2.4GHZ before I put this in (240X10). Anyone have any ideas? I am idle @ 33C with stock cooling atm. jumps up to around 40C with 2 primes running. Motherboard is an Asus A8N-SLI Premium, 600W OCZ Powerstream, BFG 7800GT. This was a CPU I got from a gentleman that claimed 2.7GHZ @ 1.450, while I understand I might not get this high, I should not be getting this low.

One man's superclock is another man's mediocre clock..Unless you bought the board, psu etc as well from the old owner, you can't expect the same results..Not to mention the variability of this persons cooling (high end air/water/phase?), ambient temps, in case/open air, air speed of an unladen swallow? Too many variables...

With that said have you tried 2:3 (133) or 5:6 (166) dividers yet, or just 1:1? Without the 5:6 divider, I'd be in the same boat with my 165 as you with my OCZ Value VX sticks - they won't go over appx 238-240 for me (even @ max ~3.25v on my eVGA board).

I have to agree with you though, you should be getting more out of the setup.. 2.4-2.5 seems low end, 2.6 being more realistic for the average (I get 2592 with my current setup).

I just downed the ram to 333MHZ instead of 400MHZ, still no luck. It had been priming for 3 Hours @ 233x9 until I rebooted. Was by no means expecting the same results, just a little more then this.

DFI Lanparty SLI-DR Expert. Could the board honestly be making that much diffrence?

The mobo definitely makes a difference but....that should be fine.

Im assuming you put your htt multiplier down to 3 right?

Well I had been running my 3800+ X2 @ 4X 240x10, does the opteron need to be @ 3?

I sort of doubt it is the board, but the Expert is good for o/cing, better than the Asus.

Well I popped it back in, im at 275X9 now, ran prime on one core and q3 time demo on the other while burning a cd. nothing gave me an issue, the only thing I changed was dropping the HT to 3

0551's are pretty poor clockers and you will prolly not see above 2650 or so with it. I had one a while back and it wouldnt even hit 2700 under water...

hetsaq said:
Well I popped it back in, im at 275X9 now, ran prime on one core and q3 time demo on the other while burning a cd. nothing gave me an issue, the only thing I changed was dropping the HT to 3

Yeah people always forget that the HTT needs to stay around 1000 or lower.

Lowering the HTT helped me out as well.

I have an opty 165 0610 from monarch that I can't get past 2.3ghz.

I have the ddr set to 333 and the best I can do is 251 at 9x multiplier. I am on an asus a8n5x and gskill ram not value ram either. I dont see anywhere to lower the htt so I left the other settings to auto. Im a beginner at this so I am probably doing something wrong.

hetsaq said:
It was the HT divider for me, make sure you set it to 3.

Thanks I just tested that real quick and changed it to 260fsb and it booted no problem I am not at 2.35 gonna do some more testing :) Never thought to change that.

Asus AI Booster shows my FSB bus at 1060 even though I have the HT set to 3. Best so far without lock-up is 265x9 for 2.39 ghz. Anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to better this?

Back