• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

not satisfied with with HD201's....

LunchboX3904

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 13, 2005
Messages
1,524
.....so I'm selling them to my sister and I get another chance at a good set of headphones. Here are my first choices

1. HD485
2. HD280 pro
3. PX100

Like most people, I like to get the most out of my money so just because I can afford 100 dollar headphones, doesn't mean I need them.

Now for my priorities...

1. Comfort. I like the cloth on the 485's
2. Bass. I like bass. I can always turn the bass down if it's too much, but I can't turn up what isn't there.
3. Overall good sound for Music and Games.
4. Under 80 preferably, but will go up to 100 if it makes a large enough difference.

Thanks for readin'

 
First I would recommend you check any of your local audio stores. Even the specialty stores. Sometimes they have amazing deals. A store near me is getting rid of their Beyer headphones at a huge discount http://www.spearitsound.com/beyer/beyer_headphones.ASP
Oh boy, DT331 for 40$, DT990pro for 130$........ wow. Those are soft!

I have used the HD590's, HD280pro's, and HD497.

HD497: Great bang for the buck. 45$ at newegg. They do not have as good bass as the 280's do, but they are open and are very light. They can be driven by portable devices.

HD280 pro: These are big heavy headphones. They press on your head harder then the other two and are closed. This means you get the good old "swamp effect" in your ear after a little while of using them. They have better bass then the 497's, but really require an amp to make them sound good (I used them in my computer, and when I put them in an external receiver they sounded better instantly). They can go for about 90$, or cheaper. Like I said, check your local stores for deals. Its becomming harder and harder to find them. Their cord is also in the spiral design.... and really elastic.
Again, if you don't mind closed headphones, these are good for the price.

The HD485's and PX100 I have never used. Most any set of sennheisers with a cloth ear pad and open design will feel great. (the 497's have leather, not cloth.)

And as always, go listen to them if possible.
 
unfortunetly, there's no one that lets you try them on in the store around here. We have a bestbuy but they just have the packages, no display or anything.

Also, I should add that i'm running an amp in the loop. It's an old pioneer SA-950. Info of it can be found HERE . just hit ctrl-F and search for SA-950.


Thanks for the replies and keep em comin!! :)

 
Details details details details details details. :D
What EXACTLY is not satisfying you with the HD201s?
And
What are you using as a source?
(are you sure this is not a classic example of crap in = crap out?)
 
the 201's make this fluttering, airy noise when's there's too much bass. this level is reached at moderate volume.....meaning not high at all. the source is my portable cd player and computer mainly with a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 Gamer. I know it's a crappy sound card, BUT my old plantronic audio .80s sounded way better with the same exact setup (may they RIP :( ). if you need more info don't hesitate to ask.

 
The 201's strength is tonal balance. The 201's weakness is bass.

Withouth eq (or bass boost), the 201s are fine with its intrinsic bass response. However, apply bass boost and you hit excursion.
 
LunchboX3904 said:
the 201's make this fluttering, airy noise when's there's too much bass. this level is reached at moderate volume.....meaning not high at all. the source is my portable cd player and computer mainly with a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 Gamer. I know it's a crappy sound card, BUT my old plantronic audio .80s sounded way better with the same exact setup (may they RIP :( ). if you need more info don't hesitate to ask.

That sounds like there is something wrong with your hd-201s. Try returning them.

Pinipig523 said:
The 201's strength is tonal balance. The 201's weakness is bass.

No offense man, but have you even heard the HD201s? IMO the HD-201s are not tonaly balanced due to the recessed mids. Also the bass response is fine.


Pinipig523 said:
Withouth eq (or bass boost), the 201s are fine with its intrinsic bass response. However, apply bass boost and you hit excursion.

Actually its probably your eq or bass boost that is distorting the sound, not a limitation with the headphones. Excursion? Are we talking about subwoofers or headphones here? :rolleyes:
 
Well, he's right, the "fluttering, airy noise" is distortion from the drivers not being able to do better lows. This has long been known with the HD201s. This happens when increasing the volume and when EQ boosting.
 
so_cal_forever said:
Well, he's right, the "fluttering, airy noise" is distortion from the drivers not being able to do better lows. This has long been known with the HD201s. This happens when increasing the volume and when EQ boosting.
couldn't have said it better myself. guys.....I don't wanna keep the 201's so if anyone could offer up suggestions, then I'd rather discuss that.

 
i just got a HD-497 for 36 dollars from amazon, i actually like the bass, its more of a clean bounce of a bass... it doesnt linger.. the only downside is if you cant do the open headphones thing or if your ears dont find it comfortable

i initially found the headphones sorta uncomfortable and hot, but i didnt feel uncomfortable anymore after 3 days of wearing it, i think it just loosened up its grip from sitting on my head
 
could you suggest some places to buy them from?

*edit* holy crap. ~$230. no thank you. :p

you can still point me in the direction of some good places to buy headphones from though


 
Any Guitar Centers around where you are? I've heard some people buy them for $150 from there after a little "persuasion". These cans are bass monsters btw, I finally got to listen to a pair about a week ago and was just floored with the bass (in a good way).
LunchboX3904 said:
could you suggest some places to buy them from?

*edit* holy crap. ~$230. no thank you. :p

you can still point me in the direction of some good places to buy headphones from though


 
LunchboX3904 said:
*edit* holy crap. ~$230. no thank you. :p
:confused: Some people just don't want to invest in good audio Mister X. :confused:
Anyway, B&H photo sells them for 180$ or 200$(pro)

Personally, my recommendation is to save up, and get a good set of headphones that will last you 6+ years. With the system in your sig, It should be in no time.
Is good sound worth 30$ a year? I'de say so. (I mean, now a days... that's like a tank of gas)

With my HD590's, the upfront cost was a bit expensive to my parents, but When you think of the audio quality you get for the time you own them, its sooo worth it. (Heck, beats getting a cheap MP3 player for christmas, or getting a 100$ pair of headphones that you never "really" liked fully... because they just don't sound professional).

Oh well, you've got a lot of good Advice, Now its your turn to make a decision. ^_^

Good luck!
 
PsychoZX said:
That sounds like there is something wrong with your hd-201s. Try returning them.



No offense man, but have you even heard the HD201s? IMO the HD-201s are not tonaly balanced due to the recessed mids. Also the bass response is fine.




Actually its probably your eq or bass boost that is distorting the sound, not a limitation with the headphones. Excursion? Are we talking about subwoofers or headphones here? :rolleyes:

Sorry my ears arent as good as yours. But fact of the matter is - they make the fluttering noise because the drivers cant handle that much movement - hence excursion. It is a driver isnt it? So why cant I use "excursion" to describe its x-max limit?

And yes, I have heard the 201... and I can tell the difference between a weird sound the bass boost is making - and the slapping of drivers onto another surface.

This is Joey_V from headfi btw.
 
:confused: Some people just don't want to invest in good audio Mister X. :confused:

I do realize it was/is a pretty absurd recommendation (given the budget that was outlined in the OP) but the DT770s have everything he is looking for and then some. ;)
 
If i didn't have to get tranny work done on my car then I might go for it. I think I'm stickin with the HD485s. I'd like to hear from someone that has used/owned them before if possible.

 
Pinipig523 said:
Sorry my ears arent as good as yours. But fact of the matter is - they make the fluttering noise because the drivers cant handle that much movement - hence excursion. It is a driver isnt it? So why cant I use "excursion" to describe its x-max limit?

And yes, I have heard the 201... and I can tell the difference between a weird sound the bass boost is making - and the slapping of drivers onto another surface.

This is Joey_V from headfi btw.

Well I didn't mean to come off as a jerk (well ok maybe a little :p ), but I owned the HD201s for a week before giving them away as part of contest on head-fi. I found the HD201s bass to be quite pleasing. I also used foobars eq to raise the frequencies at 110hz and below by about 8db and I noticed no fluttering noises that you speak of. At this point I felt the bass was actually too much. The trick with using an eq without causing clipping and distortion is to lower all of the frequencies besides the ones you want to boost (leaving those at 0) and increasing the volume. Using an eq without doing that can introduce some nasty distortion that can sound like a limitation of the transducers. This is one reason why the majority of a bass boost features on things such as a portable cd players absolutly suck. What method did you use to boost the lower frequencies?
 
LunchboX3904 said:
If i didn't have to get tranny work done on my car then I might go for it. I think I'm stickin with the HD485s. I'd like to hear from someone that has used/owned them before if possible.
I would pick the HD497s over the HD485s.
The bass on the HD485s is pretty boomy and the midrange is uneven.
If you don't mind used phones there is always the Ebay thing
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5789443829&category=40137&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1
The only thing I can see bad about those is they are the 250ohm version but that is not all bad. ;)
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If I were to go above 100, I'd probably get the hd580s. Remember, I'd choose comfort over slighty better sound. I'm no audiophile so minor differences will probably be unnoticed by me, but sore ears just don't fly with me. ;) (....and bass distortion, of course :p)

Also, I understand the idea of impedence, but what ohm headphones would work best for me. I don't know what the rating on my amp is so that probably makes it difficult. :rolleyes:

 
PsychoZX said:
Well I didn't mean to come off as a jerk (well ok maybe a little :p ), but I owned the HD201s for a week before giving them away as part of contest on head-fi. I found the HD201s bass to be quite pleasing. I also used foobars eq to raise the frequencies at 110hz and below by about 8db and I noticed no fluttering noises that you speak of. At this point I felt the bass was actually too much. The trick with using an eq without causing clipping and distortion is to lower all of the frequencies besides the ones you want to boost (leaving those at 0) and increasing the volume. Using an eq without doing that can introduce some nasty distortion that can sound like a limitation of the transducers. This is one reason why the majority of a bass boost features on things such as a portable cd players absolutly suck. What method did you use to boost the lower frequencies?


I just used the bass adjuster off my HK330 and my friend used it off an altec lansing speaker headphone out. I understand what you say though... that probably prevented the flapping of drivers. I'll keep your eq trick in mind.

I do find the bass (stock) off the 201s to be pleasing, but I guess what I should've said is that using regular bass boost options on a portable or otherwise would most likely bring the drivers to flap.

A little bit of a jerk? Hehehehe.... dont worry man. Its cool. You have more experience than me in headphones so I respect what you say.

You and your 650s with your HP200 amp. :p
 
OK OK OK.......I've narrowed it down......i guess.

After using my friend's HD555's (omg they're awesome) I noticed the HD515's for a REALLY good price. I love the feel of the HD555's and those have the exact same shape and pads. I was wondering how they compare to the HD485's. www.headphone.com says he 485's are better but that's just one place. I'm still considering the HD497's but I really like the cloth pads on the other two and the fact that they go over the whole ear. I hate decisions because i suck at them if you haven't noticed. I wanna buy one of those tonight so I have them by the end of this week so i gotta decide!! :) :rolleyes:

 
I've heard that the HD515 arent nearly as good as other cans in the same price range. The HD485 are quite boomy with the bass.

Another good sub-$100 pair of cans are the Sony MDR-D66SL. Those are the cans I'm getting next myself.
 
lol.......HD485's are on they're way. I feel so dumb. I've been questioning which headphones to get for atleast a couple weeks and I end up getting the ones I wanted from the start. :rolleyes: Oh well......these cans should do great. I'll leave feedback after I have them nice and burned in. I know this is off-topic, but does anyone have suggestions on how to burn them in correctly.....or do i just run sound through them :p .

P.S. Thanks for all the feedback guys. Again, I feel kinda dumb for wasting your time when I pick the ones i wanted from the beginning.

 
Back
Top