Not recognizing M2 drive

nitz1234

n00b
I built a PC and the Gigabyte X470 Aorus motherboard is not recognizing the WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal SSD - SATA III 6Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS500G2B0B. It’s in the M2B slot. The PSU is short a 4 pin connector for the ATX_12V1. Does it matter? Would that have anything to do with the SSD? If I have to move that drive the whole rig is going thru the window because the vid card is huge and blocking the M2A Socket and I will have to remove everything. Or is the motherboard bad? Box was conspicuously open when received it. What a complete pain and exercise in frustration.

Nothing else is connected except DVD drive so I can load Windows 10. BIOS offers nothing in the way of enabling SATA M2 - I’ve seen that suggested elsewhere.

I had to assign which sata ports it was going to take in the bios. So I unplugged all my other drives and installed the M2 first. Also check to see if that M2 drive is compatible with your mobo.

I had to assign which sata ports it was going to take in the bios. So I unplugged all my other drives and installed the M2 first. Also check to see if that M2 drive is compatible with your mobo.
It’s compatible. Where do I assign ports in the BIOS? I’ve found nothing like that. This BIOS seems to offer nothing useful. Any BIOS suggestions I’ve seen online, this BIOS doesn’t have any of those options.

looking at one of the x470 Aorus specs, one m.2 slot (M2A) is PCIe and SATA, the other (M2B) is PCIe only.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Then I’d eat the cost of the current drive, which I’m not going to do. If this board won’t take that drive, though everything says it’s compatible, I’m returning it. I’d rather take it apart and move the M2 than shell out more money. I’ll try that, and if that fails I’ll return the board for a different brand. Thanks.

The drive is compatible, just not in that slot. I was only offering an alternative to taking everything apart.

The drive is compatible, just not in that slot. I was only offering an alternative to taking everything apart.
The manual is horrible. The M2 I have is an 80, and the other slot on the mobo is for a 110. The standoff in the 110 slot simply cannot be removed regardless of effort and placed in the 80 position, though it looks like there is a spot for it. Simply inexplicable. Hence there is no way to secure the 80 in the 110 slot. There are no additional standoffs included with the motherboard. Also inexplicable. These would provide a simple solution. At a loss at this point.

Back