• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Not recognizing HDDs - older computer

RugenNixie

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
123
A few days ago, my computer didn't recognize the IDE HDDs on a couple of boots in a row. The problem fixed itself, but now the problem is back and doesn't seem to want to go away.

My computer is five years old and has been OCed heavily for those five years, so age probably plays a big factor. I'm hoping to keep this computer running for 1 more year, but I'm not sure what this problem is.

I've got 3 HDDs. Two are set up as master & slave on one IDE channel, with the master being my boot drive. The other HDD is a SATA drive. I've got a CD burner and DVD burner filling the second IDE channel.

When the computer posts, neither of the IDE HDDs is recognized. I've tried swapping IDE channels, but the problem followed the HDDs. I tried replacing the IDE cable, but it didn't help. I checked the power going to the HDDs and it checked out okay. I ran diagnostics on the HDDs and didn't find anything wrong. I disconnected the CD, DVD, SATA HDD, and the other non-boot HDD, but it didn't help

Any ideas on what to check next?

My set up is:

Asus P4PE mobo
Antec 420W PSU
(2) 80GB IDE HDDs
250GB SATA HDD
CD burner
DVD burner
2 x 512MB DDR400 memory
2.4GHz Intel CPU (OCed at 3GHZ)
video card

Thanks.
 
Even though I checked the boot drive for problems earlier and didn't find anything wrong with it, everything seems to be pointing to the hard drive. I checked the hard drive on another computer and it saw the hard drive, but had problems with it. I checked the other IDE drive and it was fine. I put it back in my computer on its own, and it was recognized without any problems.

Guess I'll be checking Black Friday specials for a new hard drive.
 
Back
Top