Not realy a "case" but it holds a computer!! (Pics)

Here is a project I have been working on for a few weeks. It isnt actually a case... but there is a computer in it.

Its the "SentraPuter"

Specs: Specs:

Compaq Evo n1000v Laptop (2ghz P4 512ram 60gig hdd)
GPS: MS S&T 2004 and Delorme 2004 (I like S&T More) with Delorme WAAS GPS Receiver (USB)
Some no name Ebay Motorized 7" Display (from Hong Kong)

Stereo:

Clarion MP3 Head Unit
Clarion EQ
2 Pioneer Amps (One 4x50 and One 2x350)
12" Alpine Type-R sub.
Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.5" Components in front and 6.5" Coaxials in the back.

First a pic of the GPS Program (Delorme Street Atlas 2004):

Some of the screen is whited out a bit due to the sunlight
DSC00023.JPG

Next is a pic of the GPS location:
DSC00024.JPG

Here is a pic of the Motorized LCD in the closed position:
DSC00033.JPG

Pic of the Main menu showing menu items for GPS, MP3, Movies, Applications, FMradio, OBDII.
DSC00025.JPG

Pic of an MP3 being played:
DSC00026.JPG

Here is a pic of a divX video being played:
DSC00028.JPG

Here is a pic of the laptop and it's docking cradle behind the driver's seat:
DSC00034.JPG

Here is a pic of the Sub/Amprack in the trunk:
DSC00005%7E0.JPG

Exterior pic:
269011_10_full.jpg

This think is so much more than just an MP3 player. The software I use for OBDII is called Digimoto, and has a ¼ mile software timer and analysis and a dyno program as well. You can find out more info at: www.Digimoto.com .

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Paul

lol corn, are you a fan of anything??

i love the display, looks realy nice

great job man, i can only dream about havin a ride like that right now :D

Originally posted by jamezzz122
Nice computer, nice sound system, nice rims...Do you have a body kit?

Yeah, the car itself isn't THAT bad looking, I'm just not a Sentra guy. ;)

i wish i had the cash to drop that kind of set up in my grand am. but i dont so i will just stick to hooking up my laptop to the input on my headunit and using the laptop for everything

Originally posted by jayjaya29
Wow thats pretty slick. Not my type of car, but great unit.

Yeah, knowing me.....that'd probly be the first thing I would ever try to do to/with my car. ;)

I'm so alone. :( ;)

ok so it's a compaq laptop or something - that's not too original. however, the LCD mounting is pretty interesting. how is that done? - details please. also, what app are you using for display? what kind of a display is it? how do you do the start-up and shut-down of the PC? - or is it on all the time?

Originally posted by The Lone Reaper
What menu system is that that you're using?

Yeah, I'd kinda like to know too.

Not that I'm ever going to make use of the knowledge or information.....I'd just like to know.

it's not winamp six, because it's a combo of all these different things, like winamp 5. five was between 2 and 3. this is between 2, 3, 5, and the year of the car times 5.

introducing Winamp 10065!

Originally posted by kill_emma
it's not winamp six, because it's a combo of all these different things, like winamp 5. five was between 2 and 3. this is between 2, 3, 5, and the year of the car times 5.

introducing Winamp 10065!

Wow, I gotta get my hands on that hot stuff. :D

LCD is a motorized in-dash display I found on ebay from some Hong Kong seller. It was $299.

The menu/gui is based on Media Engine as one person said before. It is skinnable (www.mediaengine.org)

Input is via the touchscreen overlay on the LCD and the mini illuminated keyboard in the glove box.

Shutdown and powerup are handled by the button on the docking cradle, it is within reach from the driver's seat so I just reach down behind the seat and turn it on. It stays in Hibernate mode when the car is not on. Sound goes through the AUX input on my Clarion EQ Mounted below the MP3 deck.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

w00t at amps... 1260 watts... And here I m with my 2x400 amp in my house... :(

But the laptop seems... well... with my family, it would get destroyed within the first 2 mins of driving. Kids. This is why I have a mini-ITX based carputer, mounted where the radio and the cigarette ash holder was.

But the laptop seems... well... with my family, it would get destroyed within the first 2 mins of driving. Kids. This is why I have a mini-ITX based carputer, mounted where the radio and the cigarette ash holder was.

Sounds awsome, a little more practicle then having a laptop sitting on the floor. ;)

Just gotta have a carputer in a Nissan! I'd do my wife's next (she has a 3.5l Altima) but gotta finish my own first. Only thing I'd change is that GPS antenna with an outside mount. Nice job

its nice. awesome stuff. Nice car also. CAn't wait till i get my license in 3 weeks.

Originally posted by Kolya
Nissan rocks, can't wait to see Skylines in the U.S.
guess nobody told u that the infiniti g35 IS the skyline. don't let anyone tell you different, cuz they're just fooling themselves. also, there is no gt-r model of the new skyline.

Originally posted by tek2k
guess nobody told u that the infiniti g35 IS the skyline. don't let anyone tell you different, cuz they're just fooling themselves. also, there is no gt-r model of the new skyline.
oh you mean my G35 is Skyline?! wow. like there are people who don't know that... hm... :) yeah. sorry, i just had to. ;)

hah, i never thought of using a laptop for a car mp3 player...solves the immedate shutdown on termination of power problem thats for sure...hmm

that is really sweet, I hope to do something like that in the future

sorry but the car is a no no:D and sont even get me started on the color:p

Back