Not possible? Windows Tablet - Power on when power source is connected

Exyia

Limp Gawd
Referring to a Windows 8 tablet

I've searched and searched but still come up with nothing (mostly useless search results of people who don't know how to trouble shoot a bad wall/USB charger)

Is there still no way in the year 2015, to have a tablet turn on when it's fed power?

longer version background:
I'm planning out a tablet setup in my car - I'd like to use a monitor mounted in the dash and keep the tablet in the glove box. the only problem is getting the tablet to turn on when it gets power from the car - otherwise I'm stuck opening the glove box, pressing the power button, and booting the tablet every time I get in the car

I know a few years ago this just wasn't a thing...but I figured somebody would have designed something to make this possible by now? I guess not, but I figured I'd ask...

Of course it's possible, but you're trying to add a feature that the hardware might have not be designed with in mind.

You might be able to use Wake-on-LAN to accomplish this somehow, but it depends on a lot of variables.

There are UEFI options to turn on after power loss (get to UEFI shell from Windows recovery), like there were in classic BIOS ("last state after power loss"), but it sounds like you want it to work somewhat differently than that.

The tablet has no idea it's in a car, or why when it's off it should turn on when power is applied, despite being a battery powered device. You're looking for a very specific custom behavior.

I agree with Sgraffite above, if sending a magic packet can wake up that device, you would need to figure out some way to initiate that (WoWLAN) if it's supported on that tablet. There are phone apps which can send magic packets.

Back