not enough space to copy PCI option ROM

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
Asus P5W64 WS Pro, BIOS 1101.

It has an onboard Intel 82801GR (Intel Matrix Raid), as well as a Marvell 61xx onboard Raid.
4x Samsung HD103UJ connected to the Intel, 1x Velociraptor to the Marvell, also 2x Hitachi Deskstars to the Marvell.

Booting from the Marvell (boot rom ON in BIOS), Intel controller set to RAID in bios.

During boot an error message comes up saying "Not enough space to copy PCI option ROM". Within the BIOS, when selecting RAID as option for the Intel controller it says that due to the limitations of shadow ram it is advised to disable either of the other controllers. BOOTROM for the Intel controller is disabled. BOOTROM for the onboard Marvell is enabled.

System also has an Areca controller which shows up during boot and conceivably takes up space in the ROM. Can't seem to find a way to turn that off.

Once the OS booted (Vista 64), the Intel 82801GR/GH SATA RAID controller shows up in the device manager with a yellow exclamation mark and an error message that the device failed to start (error code 10). I am using the latest chipset drivers and the v8.5 of the Intel Matrix Storage console.

The system works fine when the Intel controller is not set to RAID.

A trouble-ticket to Intel resulted in them saying that they are unable to duplicate the issue and that as far as they can tell their part works just fine.

Any ideas how to proceed from here to make this all work? Tech support email to ASUS has not been answered in a couple of days and considering the issues I had to get tech support from ASUS for my Eeepc I am not holding my breath. Certainly not going to buy anymore ASUS products ever, but for the time being I need to work this out, or perhaps I should just buy a new board and get this over with, if I spend another few hours on it, then it would certainly be less expensive to just buy a new board.

Just as a quick follow up, disabling the Marvell RAID BOOTROM and enabling the Intel one will make all errors go away. Disabling the Intel one, and enabling the Marvell one creates the "not enough space" error as well as a non-functioning Intel controller within the OS.

At this time I can only LOL about that, what's the point of putting two raid controllers on a motherboard if they can't both be used at the same time. Ah well ..., lesson learned I guess.

Back