Not complaining but......

Dr. Cleetus

Weaksauce
I just added 2 more boxen to my little garden and my electric bill went down. Now I am not complaining just wondering if anyone else in my area (Supafly) has noticed smaller electric bills. My bill was only 13 dollars this month. ;)

your electric bill is 13 dollars you bastard mine is around 400 dollars ..

Mine has gone down, but I'm guessing it's because we get cheaper rates in the winter :) I wish mine is as low as yours ;)

BTW, where in Waterford are you from?

Dr. Cleetus spent his money on a long extension cord to the neighbor's socket -- the ultimate borg!

80000.gif

Originally posted by Celerator
Dr. Cleetus spent his money on a long extension cord to the neighbor's socket -- the ultimate borg!

80000.gif

lmao!!! Glad I'm not his neighbor. ;) We have a $200 bill here, but it's in the boonies of Oregon. I have 3 boxen running, used to be 4 boxes. We'll see when I get my fourth boxen up (hopefully with SCSI for a fileserver as well).

Originally posted by The[H]uman
your electric bill is 13 dollars you bastard mine is around 400 dollars ..

ditto $375 average here

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
lmao!!! Glad I'm not his neighbor. ;) We have a $200 bill here, but it's in the boonies of Oregon. I have 3 boxen running, used to be 4 boxes. We'll see when I get my fourth boxen up (hopefully with SCSI for a fileserver as well).

I hate to be nosy, and if you don't want to say, that's okay, but why is your electric bill $200? :) I have 4 boxes here (3 high end, 1 medium end), and a small chest freezer, etc, and my bill is $80. $120 in the summer.

You have electric heat or water heater? Somethine sounds way out of whack there. :)

Originally posted by Bill Clo
You have electric heat or water heater? Somethine sounds way out of whack there. :)
I don't have electric heat or an electric water heater or central A/C. My electric bills prior to building a 22 CPU folding farm were $30-$60. My last electric bill hit an all time high of $295. :eek:

ChelseaOilman
300000.gif
65000.gif

Some of you have the advantage of an appartment, especially when it's one of the center bottom units... you don't need much energy to keep it cool (the other units shield you from the heat) and you don't need much to keep yourself warm either :)

So obviously appartment owners will have a much lower bill.

Mine is about $275 now and my friends appartment is at $85 and he likes his place cold during the summer.

Last month's electric bill was $154, but it's hard to pin down just how much of it is due to the 10 CPU farm. I have houseguests (daughter-in-law w/ 3 kids under 6 yrs), so the electric dryer and space heater usage is wildly unpredictable.

It's fun trying to figure out what my electric rate actually is. If you do the math, it originally seems like I pay a measly 3 cents per kilowatt. Toss in a "fuel cost" surcharge, environmental surtax, and by the time the dust settles the surcharges more than double the bill.

28 days, vaguely cool weather

2159kwh x 0.02868 = $61.92 :)
Fuel cost adjustment @ .04155 per kwh = $89.71 :(
MD franchise tax @ 0.00062 per kwh = $1.34
Environmental surcharge 0.00015 per kwh = $0.32

Thank Chaos and other deities that CPUs aren't powered by natural gas!

28ccf of gas @ 0.2854 = $7.99
Gas customer service charge = $8.15 :confused:
"Purchased gas charge" of .87600 per ccf = $24.53 :eek:

Toss in $128 worth of fuel oil for the furnace, and you see my lot in life. Ducting the case fans into the furnace return seems like a reasonable farm mod... :D

I hate to be nosy, and if you don't want to say, that's okay, but why is your electric bill $200? :) I have 4 boxes here (3 high end, 1 medium end), and a small chest freezer, etc, and my bill is $80. $120 in the summer.

They just charge a higher rate, that's all. Also, my mom has a habit of turning lots of lights on in the house. Electric stove, dishwasher, lights, 2 monitors, 3 computers, I have a few things in my room... Yeah, we have an ancient freezer outside that just eats electricity. :p We unplugged it for a week and our bill dropped from $200 to $150. ;)

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
They just charge a higher rate, that's all. Also, my mom has a habit of turning lots of lights on in the house. Electric stove, dishwasher, lights, 2 monitors, 3 computers, I have a few things in my room... Yeah, we have an ancient freezer outside that just eats electricity. :p We unplugged it for a week and our bill dropped from $200 to $150. ;)

Hmm...I guess they do charge a much higher rate. I'm on a time of day plan where between 7am and 7pm (8am and 8pm during the summer), I pay 15 cents/kwh, and between 7pm and 7am I pay 5 cents. I set this up before I was involved in folding, and we had bills of $40ish in the winter. Adding the chest freezer made the bill go up $10ish, but it was the 4 computers that made it go up an additional $30.

We're efficiency fanatics here, so our total useage is fairly low (400-450 kwh/month BEFORE we got into Folding).

That freezer must be a really ooooold one to use that much energy.

If you go to this site, you can find out info on what kind of electric consumption new appliances have. It's very strange that they have no freezer info, but hey, it's still very informative...

http://www.energystar.gov/

Every bit helps...

<snip>
If you go to this site, you can find out info on what kind of electric consumption new appliances have. It's very strange that they have no freezer info, but hey, it's still very informative...

Every bit helps...
Uh, Bill - they have chest freezers and upright freezers, listed under this page you have to use the drop down menus.

Hmm...I guess they do charge a much higher rate. I'm on a time of day plan where between 7am and 7pm (8am and 8pm during the summer), I pay 15 cents/kwh, and between 7pm and 7am I pay 5 cents. I set this up before I was involved in folding, and we had bills of $40ish in the winter. Adding the chest freezer made the bill go up $10ish, but it was the 4 computers that made it go up an additional $30.

We're efficiency fanatics here, so our total useage is fairly low (400-450 kwh/month BEFORE we got into Folding).

That freezer must be a really ooooold one to use that much energy.

Every bit helps...

My parents told me once that jsut two computers with monitors cost $1/day to operate, energy wise. I think it doubled just by adding my SCSI array. :p

And to think....my Hydro is included in my rent! Wonder what my landlord will say when I add a new blade to my folding garden. :) Currently I am running 3 PC's 24/7.

Back