• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Not being able to send WUs

colinstu

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 11, 2007
Messages
3,563
If you're at all familiar with the buildlog that I have going on in this forum section, this is a 2P intel-based (pre-nehalem) build. I followed the ubuntu linux guide on setting this all up. I am using ext3 (and didn't do the updates besides the ones needed for getting samba to work). Flags used are smp and verbosity 9, I used bigadv before but turned it off for this WU thinking that would fix it... it didn't so since pasting this log I have turned bigadv back on.

Tried to get help earlier in IRC but I was impatient with things and just deleted my current work thinking that would fix it. Let my new 2p system fold a new WU... same problem as before.

So. I present a log w/ verbosity 9 turned on.
http://pastebin.com/YSGNULVb

Notice it tries to send at 4:34:23, 04:51:18, 05:07:57, 05:24:02, 05:42:21, has some issues getting new work a minute later. It continues to try to send at 06:00:46, 06:17:38, and then gives up and just starts folding.

I hope you can see why I was frustrated earlier. Perfectly working machine, change out the heatsinks, restart and... bam..this crap. Didn't change anything to the OS, nothing to the hardware besides taking out an PCI IDE card that wasn't being used by anything earlier. Wasting hours trying to send data, and then never sending it. After seeing that this won't resolve itself, I'm no longer worried about the work it's not producing (well, sending for the matter) and now need to find a way to fix it.

If anyone can help, I'm fully open to anything. Please and thank you!

EDIT: Oh, and for the time being, should I continue to let this machine run? [bonus] Points will be awarded for wu's that are sent much later, will they?
 
You should post on foldingforum. It is not uncommon for a server to go down and cause results to fail when sending. I did find a thread recently about some downtime on that server, but nothing currently.
 
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/serverstat.html

^ a listing of the current server statuses ...
If I remember correctly fahlog tells you the IP of the server that sent you the wu.

If not match unit number and server IP from here: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html

128.143.199.97 appears to be online. Thanks for the link though, I'll keep an eye on it. Guess the current WU needs to complete before it'll try to send work again? Wonder if it was just offline earlier.
 
Guess the current WU needs to complete before it'll try to send work again? Wonder if it was just offline earlier.

No, it does not. The completed unit will continually try to send while the current one is processing. Keep an eye on your work directory and see if the results file goes away.
 
Currently have a new WU trying to send to 128.143.231.202, which says it's online.. looking at the history of accepted WU's... it's been getting them at all times today so far.

The stat servers being offline looks like it can be ruled out.

Using the browser on this computer is fine, websites load fast. So I don't think it's networking related. *shrugs*
 
Is QoS running on your router? If so, try disabling it.

I was having issues inthe past with bigadv unit uploads where my router would barf before it finished until I disabled QoS.
 
QoS is disabled, and just got langouste installed and set up following the guide for it on here. Is there a way to see if it's running? Hopefully this will fix it!
 
langouste 3 should be somewhere in the running processes

Yep, checked and it's there. Cool.

EDIT:
Code:
[06:08:38] Completed 204850 out of 500000 steps  (40%)
[06:08:55] Completed 205000 out of 500000 steps  (41%)
[06:18:12] Completed 210000 out of 500000 steps  (42%)
[06:25:56] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[06:25:56] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[06:25:56]     (128.143.231.202:8080)
[06:25:56] + Retrying using alternative port
[06:25:56] Connecting to http://128.143.231.202:80/
[06:27:41] Completed 215000 out of 500000 steps  (43%)
[06:36:58] Completed 220000 out of 500000 steps  (44%)
[06:42:24] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[06:42:24] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[06:42:24]     (128.143.231.202:80)
[06:42:24] - Error: Could not transmit unit 02 (completed January 15) to work server.
[06:42:24] - 5 failed uploads of this unit.
[06:42:24]   Keeping unit 02 in queue.
[06:42:24] + Sent 0 of 1 completed units to the server
[06:42:24] - Autosend completed
[06:46:16] Completed 225000 out of 500000 steps  (45%)
[06:55:34] Completed 230000 out of 500000 steps  (46%)
[07:04:52] Completed 235000 out of 500000 steps  (47%)
[07:14:10] Completed 240000 out of 500000 steps  (48%)

Doesn't seem to be working still. Gave it a restart too, looked to see if langouste was running, it was, reopen fah it fails at sending... HOWEVER it now fails much quicker than before... where it would seem to timeout after 15min and retry.
 
Last edited:
Using the web browser things seem to load fine, but using the included Networking Utility, I'm unable to ping anything. I can send packets but none are received. Pinging local addresses, WU servers, www.google.com... nothing. Unless the networking utility is just garbage.
 
Using the web browser things seem to load fine, but using the included Networking Utility, I'm unable to ping anything. I can send packets but none are received. Pinging local addresses, WU servers, www.google.com... nothing. Unless the networking utility is just garbage.

if i'm not mistaken linux has the same build in ping option that windows has as well. might have to do some googling to find it but try that.
 
I just noticed something.

19662378.png


Excuse my ms paint skills, but HMMMMM. :rolleyes: Nice work stanford. Well that explains that. Unless HP just happened to kill off their effort at the same time.
 
try restarting the nscd service. In the land of Red Hat that service is needed for FAH to work. Not sure if it is called the same thing in Ubuntu?
 
Did you ever get this rig sending and if so, how?
I followed the same Musky guide including only the samba update and had the same issue.
It could have been coincidence/timing, but I let Ubuntu update and the WU sent.
 
Did you ever get this rig sending and if so, how?
I followed the same Musky guide including only the samba update and had the same issue.
It could have been coincidence/timing, but I let Ubuntu update and the WU sent.

HPCS has just been able to get full production points again... doesn't look like any kind of recredit though.

My machine is currently off as my other SMP rig was having connection issues too now. I'm gonna need to try a different switch because I think the current one is having some issues. I'll retry w/ using the current switch again soon.
 
Back
Top