not all mobile DTR's are equal....

Aronj66

Limp Gawd
I've had a a64 3000 mobile DTR socket 754 running on an Epox 8npa SLI for a while now happily at 2.25ghz.. I got a 3200 mobile DTR and threw it in and nadda.. no post.. :( Put it in an ASROCK K8Upgrade-nf3 and it works great.. I know not all boards can run mobiles and the Epox is not known to play nice, but I would have thought if one mobile worked, then others would have worked too..

I guess my media center will get to keep the 3200..

I was one of the early adopters of the DTR before much had been posed. I went through a
few boards before I found one that worked. Most of the board companies said it was unsupported.

I've been waiting on a thread like this.

Could it be that the 3200+ is a different core. I thought all DTR's were Clawhammer though.
Eclipse might come in and set us straight although he would never answer my question about DTR's being more likely to work than mobiles. How I would love to slap a 4000+ Newark in this thing...........
With that chip and if I could get my uccc to run at 290 like Anand I would have some where around 4300-4400 bandwidth on Sandra and 939 could kiss my ass. As it stands now I'm already pricing 939/Opteron cause this thing is holding back my 7800GTX's.

I haven't looked at them in a while cause everybody told me not to even try with my 8npa sli because it is an Epox. I think I'll go look at the specs and see if I can see anything.

There is a review on Newgg about a 3200+ dtr running in a ep8npa sli. says it won't overclock very well and he gave it 4 eggs. lol

are you certain the new one is a DTR, or is it a real mobile? ;)

i'd like the OPN off of both :cool:

Ah....good question.

I'm tempted to buy a Newark 4000+ just to see but I think it would take a long time to sell if it didn't work.

I'm prety sure they are DTR's I'll have to look at them when I get home tonight.. It doesn't really matter to me, they both work in their current setups which was all I wanted, but I was hoping to run the 3200 in my toy and move the 3000 to the media center..

I think the 8npa-sli is hit or miss, some have luck with it, and some don't.. I just thought it was odd that one chip worked and the othre didn't.. They both work in the asrock just fine.

I don't think I would pay full price for a chip that wasn't gaurenteed to work. I got these super cheap so I figued why not..

I've tried yahoo, google you name it trying to find this motherboard in combination with DTR or true mobile and I get nothing.

What Bios are you using?

for the epox? the first bios it shipped with.. the latest versions were to unstable with the 3000..

(cf)Eclipse said:
are you certain the new one is a DTR, or is it a real mobile? ;)

i'd like the OPN off of both :cool:

The 3200 is AMN3200BIX5AR
CAACCO421XPNW

the 3000 is very similar if I recal correctly, with the same stepping.

Mobile and DTR function the same in the boards. If a board doesn't support a DTR it won't support a mobile and vice versa. Usually the board just needs a BIOS update because the
core has not been supported. When I started with my DTR it wasn't a Clawhammer and the desktop CPU's were still all claw hammers. So, most of the boards didn't work with my CPU. It seems the same may happen with the Venice and Newark CPU's. Also with my DTR CPU the multi alway started at 4x when the BIOS had to be reset from to much overclocking.

Aronj66 said:
The 3200 is AMN3200BIX5AR
CAACCO421XPNW

the 3000 is very similar if I recal correctly, with the same stepping.
that's a true mobile.. i wouldn't be surprised if the 3000+ ended up being like this:
AMA3000BEX5AR

king, i'm gonna have to disagree. i've seen cases where people could use dtr's just fine, but the mobiles killed it. either way, no desktop board officially supports these chips, so... :p

Ok.. well either way.. They both work in the cheap board, but only the 3000 works in the epox.. I just thought it was odd. I'm happy enough with them, and maybe the asrock will Oc a bit too..

And I think a lot of boards would support the mobiles if you could force the Vcore higher before POST. I had a mobile 3400+ in my shuttle that defaulted to like 0.9V and thus it wouldn't POST at it's proper speed. However, if I put in another CPU and forced the Vcore to 1.4 first, then swapped CPUs it would POST fine.

Aronj66 said:
It is indeed.
so it looks like your epox can use DTR's, but not mobiles. BBB's comment is interesting though, and probably applies to you too.

(cf)Eclipse said:
so it looks like your epox can use DTR's, but not mobiles. BBB's comment is interesting though, and probably applies to you too.

So the 3000 is a DTR??

for the epox? the first bios it shipped with.. the latest versions were to unstable with the 3000..

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I've a similar problem with my AMA3000BEX5AR posting on this motherboard. I know they're not officially supported, but this thread gave me hope it would work.

The debug lcd shows 29 when it freezes...

The newest bios revision has this in the changelog
Fixed system hang at post 29h after reset from Windows XP/SP2 if Cool'n'Quiet enabled.

I assume Cool'n'Quiet (PowerNow) is constantly on on the mobile athlon...

Anyone have any idea whether upgrading to the newest bios would fix my problem (or downgrading to the first release of the bios, like Aronj66)... or any other ideas not involving borrowing/purchasing a deskop processor just to flash the bios...

So I bought a Sempron 2800+ today. The machine works fine with it.
I tried both the newest and oldest bios revisions with my Mobile Clawhammer AMA3000BEX5AR, 06.08.11 and 05.09.02 respectively, and it still won't post, hangs on code 29.

Are there any tricks to get it to work?

Back