Not able to print from a terminal session

exchange keys

Limp Gawd
My user is able to print locally (wireless) from a Dell Latitude D630 to a HP PhotoSmart C7250 All-in-one printer. The user installed the HP Photosmart basic driver from the HP website.

The problem is that she RDPs into a VM (Windows XP Prof SP3) through VPN tunnel. She does this from home.

I don't know what .inf file I need to install on that VM for this work. I tried running the HP Photosmart basic .exe setup (the one used locally), but that didn't work on the VM.

From my past experience, all I needed to do was just find the .inf file for the printer, and add the driver through printers and faxes -> File -> Printer Server Properties -> Drivers. This is done in the VM. This worked on HP LaserJet 4000 series and Savin C3535.

Anyone have any recommendations on how to tackle this?

Have you checked this photosmart printer on Microsofts list of approved printers for TS?
As you move into those AIW models...your chance for having them work through a TS sessoin diminishes.

Basic things that I do when having to force in a printer...
*Install latest drivers on remote machine
*Install latest drivers on the host machine...the corporate basic .inf drivers yes through the print server properties method you mention. BUT..as you may notice, some of these cheaper "home grade" printers will only come with setup/installer.exe drivers...so you have no choice but to run setup. Luckily most of these types of drivers these days will have a checkbox option to continue the install even when you cannot plug the printer in during the install.
*Try adding the printer through the add/printer wizard...when selecting a port, try TS001.

Make sure local printer redirection is checked in the RDP file.

I e-mailed HP and they informed me that the HP PhotoSmart printer series is not supported in MS Terminal Sessions.

I am not 100% sure that's true, but that's my current answer.

It seems that the USB redirection might be turned off on the VM as well since I didn't see the Universal Serial Bus Controllers under Device Manager. When I ran the HP setup.exe, it kept giving me "USB HARDWARE" messages, which makes sense since it couldn't detect it.

Oh well...

Thank you guys for your information though. It will surely help me in the near future :D

P.S. - I couldn't find a "current" MS list of approved/allowed printers for terminal services/sessions. We use Windows XP SP3 for the VM, and Windows Server 2K3 STD for everything else.

Some HP and Epson printers just have trouble with printing over RDP. This is normally due to the stupid install package that comes with printers and the inability to load JUST the driver.

Most of the time you can get it to work, but in some cases, its just not going to. I think you found one lol

I can tell you that I have successfully gotten an HP Photosmart 2600 All In One to work through RDP.

It is currently installed locally on my bosses home desktop (Windows XP Pro SP3) and shared to his laptop (Windows XP Pro SP3) and his brand new netbook (Windows 7 Home Premium) that I just configured the other day. The printer works through RDP on his work desktop (Windows XP Pro SP3) on all 3 computers.

I have had a similar experience though with an HP LaserJet P1006 however. Initially I could not get the printer to redirect to the remote session. After trying different drivers version I could get the printer to appear in the remote session however it would not properly redirect queued print jobs to the local machine. After doing a little research I found an article saying the P1006 was not supported in RDP because of its host-based drivers and HP does not offer any other versions. I also stumbled across this
in the HP forums

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01464949/c01464949.pdf

I guess it just hit or miss depending drivers (although your VM situation adds another variable that I do not have experience with)... I am currently transitioning over to Brother printers for users with light print loads. You can't beat the HL-2170W.. and I have never had a problem with TS and Brother printers..

Back