Not a question

Homey D. Clown

Limp Gawd
So I just won an auction for an old Mac G5 desktop(pre-intel) it's missing a hardrive and power cord but I already found a power cord for cheap and have several spare hardrives lying around.I've never used a mac before in my life but I thought it would be fun to mess around with one! Oh yeah! almost forgot to mention that I only payed about $110.00 with shipping.

It's a perfectly capable machine to learn on, and a good price for the gamble.

Enjoy. :)

Anyone have any recommendations on a good video card upgrade for G5? Basically i'm looking for highest performing AGP 8x card that will work with it?

You can't upgrade the graphics in an iMac; the machine is half-laptop.

I believe he bought a Power Mac G5, not an iMac.

As far as video cards go, you can flash a new BIOS on a PC X850, 7800 GS or 6800-series card, or buy a Mac version of the X850 or 6800 Ultra/GT. Should have no issue finding most of these old cards (save, possibly, the 6800 Ultra).

You can use any PC power cord. You don't need the white apple one unless you really want to pay for it. :)

The Mac versions of the video cards will probably cost more than what you paid for the machine itself (not worth it IMO). However, the PC versions of the card are usually dirt cheap. My PM G5 came with a pitiful FX5200, but I kept it because it had an ADC port which I needed for the 17" Studio Display.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow that sucks man. Sounds like it's going to be more trouble than it's worth now ;(

Worked things out with the seller,we agreed to a partial refund I'm keeping the computer and salvage what I can out of it.So it wasn't that bad an ordeal!

Please list for me the Macintosh desktops you know of that use a non-standard power cable. The G5 970MP Power Mac line is as close as you will get, and it's still just a standard high-current IEC cable.

Please don't blow smoke.

Back