Nostalgic Gaming

CBR

I Show Old Ladies My Dick Wrappers
Anyone ever do this?

A friend of mine gave me his old PS1 a few days ago, with a few games, and ever since I haven't stopped playing it. I've been playing a lot of Gran Turismo 2 and am working my way up. Currently have all the National races complete, and I'm working through the Rally Races.

Tomorrow I'm going to go out and pick up FF7 for old times sake. I've really been missing that game lately. I still have my original save from back in '99, the last time I played. I'm thinking of taking up where I left off and take out the Ultimate Weapons. Then starting at the beginning and see how long it takes me this time around.

I've been debating whether or not to bring an old rig online just to play some games from the glory days of 3DFX with my Voodoo 3, aswell.

Its wierd though, I remember back in the day seeing the graphics of GT2 and thinking, "Wow, thats beautiful" but by todays standards the graphics look like shit. The same goes for FF7. First time I saw it I was in awe, but today I see all the flaws in it. It doesn't bother me, but its interesting to look back and see how far we've progressed in such short time.

Does anyone else take time away from todays games to play some of the older ones?

Yeah I do it occasionally, I've been playing Grim Fandango lately. I think I might play through FF7 again, I just have to find it in my pile of old cds hehe :)

Wait, your idea of Nostalgic gaming is a Playstation? Man, when I feel like doing this I break out my Atari maybe a little Commodore 64 action...

I'm a little young for Atari (17).

Oldest system I've played was a Colecovision that my mom had. She brought it out awhile ago and we played on it for a while.

That had to be 10 or so years ago by now. It was lost in a move shortly thereafter.

However, I do have a collection of old games for my Playstation. The original Pitfall etc.

While it's not technically gaming, I've been reading the manual for this old PC game called M.A.X by Interplay and I was just so amazed at the production values put into the manual alone. They had a sensical plot complete with detailed passages from their own fictional literature, a thorough troubleshooting section, and instructions on how to play a modem game.

I'm just a little flabberghasted because if developers once put that much effort and from what I could tell, a little bit of love in their products, why aren't they doing it now?

i've got an original copy of doom 2 when i first got it, i was about... 7? and it was 50 bucks, on sale no less at compusa... i think or whatever it was before it was compusa. and i finally broke my dad down after pestering him for the entirety of the time we were there.

i had my doom 2, he was giddy with i think his first ever 500 meg harddrive.

i just remember going "!!! DOOM TWO!!!!!!!!!"

Nostalgia, huh? Last Christmas I bought my mother a two-pack of those old joysticks that come with 5-6 games programmed into the joystick itself (i.e. Rally, Adventure, Missile Command, Dig Dug, Pac Man, and others...) Mom thought she broke the thing so she gave them to me to work on and I've been playing on them ever since. I'm reluctant to give them back now :p

(cues Crocodile Dundee voice) You call that nostalgic gaming? (whips our Wolfenstein 3D and *nix based Nethack)...now *that*'s nostalgic gaming!

My brother just bought a sega genesis and some games off of ebay so that's been bringing back a lot of memories of late night gaming sessions.

Oh man I remember when Wolfenstien 3D was still shareware, Duke Nukem, Commander Keen....The Pool of Radiance series, man those were great games......

I remember most older games fondly. They were milestone markers in my gaming history. I remember when Doom 2 came out, and I saw it in a computer store Christmas of 94.

When the Duke3D shareware demo came out (received it on a Computer Gaming World CD), I played it everyday for a long-ass time.

Some honorable mentions include Under a Killing Moon, Kinges Quest and the Quarantine.

heatsinker said:
I'm just a little flabberghasted because if developers once put that much effort and from what I could tell, a little bit of love in their products, why aren't they doing it now?
I frankly don't know. The glory days of Infocom, Origin and Sierra stuffing their boxes full of goodness have disappeared much like these companies. I remember shopping with my brother shaking boxes to see what was inside. The heavier the box, the better the game.

Now it's all about the bottom line. If they went back to putting effort into their documentation and perhaps an extra or two without charging us $20 extra and calling it a "Collectors Edition" they could sell more titles.

heatsinker said:

They had to put a lot of time and effort into writing tight code back in the day. Nowadays we have so many CPU cycles and so much bloat in the OS that it's fallen by the wayside. Many early games were writting in assembler; now they use RAD tools and reusuable code toolkits much of the time.

Torgo said:
I frankly don't know. The glory days of Infocom, Origin and Sierra stuffing their boxes full of goodness have disappeared much like these companies. I remember shopping with my brother shaking boxes to see what was inside. The heavier the box, the better the game.

Ah I remember those glory days fondly. I remember picking up Wing Commander 3 and freaking out :eek: because it had 4 CD's, and manuals, and more manuals, and little game guides in the form of magazines.... /Rushes off to start the old DOS PC to take part in a little retro PC Gaming! :D

turbo.express.1.m.jpg

turbo.express.keith.courage.m.jpg

Yeah I also play the older games.

I built a DOS machine a while back, mainly so I could play my two favorite dos games: star control and star control 2. But, I've also got a bunch of other dos games on it including the classics: scorched earth, doom 1/2 and sim city/farm. Oh, and don't forget about sopwith 2, the first PC game I ever played (got it when I finally got a CGA card with a RCA out to TV jack on it.)

MSX, nuff said :D

all time favoriote console would be sega saturn though(proud owner of panzer dragoon saga!)

I never had any regrets passing up on Jaguar, and I played with my friends Neo Geo all the
time back when.

I wish I could find my copies of Ninja Spirit, Legendary Axe 2 and Splatter House.

ya... I got Ninja Spirit... good stuff... And tha Jag? Playing AvP on it was damn smooth :D

heatsinker said:
While it's not technically gaming, I've been reading the manual for this old PC game called M.A.X by Interplay and I was just so amazed at the production values put into the manual alone. They had a sensical plot complete with detailed passages from their own fictional literature, a thorough troubleshooting section, and instructions on how to play a modem game.

I love all the goodness that Jane's put into their combat simulation manuals.

Gaming for me goes back to Mainframe version of Zork or IBM basic and the Star Trek game (typing in code saving to tape).

Still got a running Atari 2600 (Wico joysticks, those things last forever!). Also got my Dreamcast, which stuff still looks better than alot of PS2 junk I see today.

PC-Dos games... Syndicate, by far coolest early lan game ever (bah we were jacking cars back in the 80's long before GTA). Gauss gun in that game was awesome, guys running out of flaming cars, screaming, then falling into a little charred corpse. Back in the day when Bullfrog ruled! Magic Carpet... Dungeon Keeper.. and Populous.

PC game that got me to buy a PC was F19 Stealth Fighter from Microprose.
PC game that made me get an Adlib card: Battle of Britain from LucasArts (Adlib was THE sound card of the day, if they only could have followed up with something else, they would have been Creative.)

Anyone remember "Realsound"? Think it was in Leaderboard Golf (precursor to Links) that actually had gaming sounds out of your PC speaker (instead of beeps).

Between Pong, 2600, Colecovision, Vectrex, Atari800XL, Every Sega System, Every NES system, PS1 and PS2, PC's from 8mhz to 3Ghz+, it all boils down to is it fun! I'll still dig out Adventure on the 2600 just to see if I remember the maze path and open up the easter egg.

Missile Command, Asteroids...

those are awesome games!

I still have my Snes and will play some FF3 occasionally. I maintain my belief that Final Fantasy 3 is the best game ever! There are so many different ways to have the story end up, that I have played it all the way through at least 20 times, and never had the same strong characters twice. I have the player's guide from Nintendo, and it's falling out of its binding, and all the pages are wrinkled and dog-eared....I love that game!

X-Wing and Tie Fighter, and even X-Wing Alliance to a lesser degree... i loved those games.

All my other friends had an NES so i mostly missed out on that, but I got a Genesis and was obsessed with Sonic the Hedgehog. I had to get those chaos emeralds to turn into Super Sonic! lol

Lately I've been majorly into old nes, snes, and genesis games. Played most of the way through 3 of the contra games, gunstar heroes, alien soldier, sonic 1-3/knuckles, sim city, and others. Also discovered the minibosses band recently (their megaman and contra covers are awesome as well as the ghosts 'n' goblins and castlevania covers).

Thorbjorn said:
Nostalgia, huh? Last Christmas I bought my mother a two-pack of those old joysticks that come with 5-6 games programmed into the joystick itself (i.e. Rally, Adventure, Missile Command, Dig Dug, Pac Man, and others...) Mom thought she broke the thing so she gave them to me to work on and I've been playing on them ever since. I'm reluctant to give them back now :p

Those things are the coolest with tthe exception that the fire button is on the wrong side. Even the cheats/tricks still work with those. I played Galaga and used the trick to turn off enemy fire and maxed the game out at stage 256.

I'm 1/4th the way through Secret of Mana right now (SNES) and ordering Secret of Evermore and Chrono Trigger when I get around to it. Not to mention a little F-Zero action to see how fast I can complete the very first level.

FF3 is good? I don't remember it (do you get washed down a river at one point in the game?)

Looking (lazily) for a Nintendo, SuperMario 3 and FF2.

I have a DOS box stuffed under my desk that I mostly use just to play Master of Orion and Master of Magic when the mood hits me. I still have my 2MB Roland Sound Canvas daughtercard connected to a SoundBlaster 16 so I can hear the MIDI music files in all their glory. Emulation can't compete with that.

I also have a Commodore 64 set up just to play Ultimate Wizard, sometimes Racing Destruction Set. That game rocked.

I've got a Vectrex with a multi-card (every game ever made for it on one cartridge) that I bring out every once in a while. Mostly I just laugh when I play it because the games are so cheesy by todays standards I can't help myself.

heatsinker said:

I do agree with you here, games just don't get the same attention to the little details they used to (I remember reading through the Space Quest manuals, those were a blast!), but also remember that 15-20 years ago, one or two people could sit down and write a blockbuster gaming hit in a few months, where now it takes a huge team of many people many, many months (in some cases, years :mad: ) to make a game, so I can see why they would try to cut some costs.

That said, I WANT MY FUNNY MANUAL AND NIFTY EXTRA STUFF!!

I think that the one game that I love(d) the most was Wing Commander 1...I appreciated how you could survive every mission, and yet lose the campaign. The extras that you got in the box helped as well! Oh, what I'd do for a DOS box.... :(

Too too many.

I must be too old though. I *loved* many of the classics mentioned like Wing Commander (played them all), but don't really think of them as being old. When I think old school though I think of my original pong game in the 70's and how amazing that was at the time (not kidding, it was). On the PC I think of games like Starflight or Jet, booted straight off a floppy. In between were the ones on Z80 boxen that you coded yourself in BASIC or direct machine code (or both).

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. I still use DOSBox to run some of my old DOS favorites. If I really have to I have old DOS machines that are perfectly good to run them too ;)

Starflight and it's mystic codewheel... I'm still amazed at how much *content* was generated from that game. All the planets and terrain...

Jet, a true classic flight sim. I remember with great glee taking off from the carrier, immediately pulling up on the flight stick and then ejecting the stick figure back onto the deck.

Torgo said:
Starflight and it's mystic codewheel... I'm still amazed at how much *content* was generated from that game. All the planets and terrain...

Jet, a true classic flight sim. I remember with great glee taking off from the carrier, immediately pulling up on the flight stick and then ejecting the stick figure back onto the deck.

Truly wonderful games. Starflight is *still* fun to play! It was amazing how they had over 400 planets in such detail. As I recall they used some kind of fractal algorithm to generate all that landscape.

I just download emulators and the roms... I got every and I mean every game rom made for atari 2600, coleco, lynx, nintendo, super nintendo, nintendo 64, sega, sega genesis, amiga, atari st you name it thousands and thousands :) And ya its fun to play them old games from time to time.

I have a Magnavox Odyssey2, it still works. My dad bought it years ago, when it came out. It has this voice thing that mounts on to it and you can type words in and it will talk in this weird electronic voice. Kinda weird but it was cool at the time.

http://www.classicgaming.com/museum/o2/

Damn...there was a game for the 2600 where each player (it was turn based/hot seat of course) had a space empire. You had to build ships, send off fleets...what was that one??? I'm having a mental block.

You guys are really taking me back....I don't feel so old now. Do you remember "The Bilestoad" for apple 2? You saw a top down view of knights in battle...two player with opposite sides of the keyboard and you could hack off arms etc...with plenty of blood to boot. How about "The Adventures of Herecles", "Alkalabeth" (Lord British's very first), and then there was this text based old TRaSh-80 game, for the life of me I cannot remember the name...it was an anchient Egypt theme...at one point you throw the falcon statue and it comes to life and attacks your enemy...anyone remember the name?

One game i'd like to see a remake of is colonization. Still can play it on my current system. Used to play sea rogue, elite and SWoTL also. Pirates was fun and the remake is just as good imo.
Also loved to play zork as someone mentioned earlier...

schoenda said:
You guys are really taking me back....I don't feel so old now. Do you remember "The Bilestoad" for apple 2? You saw a top down view of knights in battle...two player with opposite sides of the keyboard and you could hack off arms etc...with plenty of blood to boot. How about "The Adventures of Herecles", "Alkalabeth" (Lord British's very first), and then there was this text based old TRaSh-80 game, for the life of me I cannot remember the name...it was an anchient Egypt theme...at one point you throw the falcon statue and it comes to life and attacks your enemy...anyone remember the name?

Was it Pharaoh? I remember a game by that name.

Back