Nostalgia.....DOS computer builds.

DogChainX

[H]ard|Gawd
I officially got the nostalgia bug...and BAD.

Remember staying up late, forgoing homework, to try to get a DOS game to run? Autoexec.bat and config.sys editing, EMM386, QEMM, Smartdrv.exe, SB16 drivers, MSCDEX, etc.

If any of the terms above bring back memories (nightmares), you might just catch the bug too.

First, I live in Utah, and we have things called Deseret Industries (or The DI). Basically they are huge thrift stores filled with donated items. Some awesome deals can be had here for nostalgia builds.

My current in-progress builds, and cost.

--DOS 6.22--going to add a Voodoo2 PCI card to this.
Pentium 90Mhz
Misc motherboard
32MB (yes, MegaBytes) RAM
3.2GB IDE (ATA33) drive
S3 Trio64v+ PCI
AWE64 ISA
Misc 250watt PSU
12x CD-ROM
3.5" floppy
Beige Case
-all for $5.00

--Win98SE/DOS 7.0--swaping out Voodoo 2 PCI card and the one above
Pentium 233MMX
64MB RAM
3.2GB IDE Drive (IBM Deskstar)
Matrox G200 card PCI
mix CD-ROM
3.5" floppy
ESS sound card
Beige Case
-all for $5.00

--Win98SE Power system--
Pentium III 500MHz Slot1
512MB RAM
10GB IDE DRIVE
Geforece MX200 64mb PCI (upgrading to a $20.00 Voodoo 3 AGP I think)
CD-RW drive
3.5" floppy
Awe64 Value ISA
Beige case
-all for $8.00

I've loaded games like Falcon 3.0, Links386, Commander Keen, Wing Commanders, and a few other misc games. I forgot Comanche Max Overkill can't run with EMM386/etc.

This is a dirt-cheap hobby!!! Not sure when the nostalgia will wear-off, but its been a blast from the past to work and configure these old systems.

For additional fun...

1. You need a 486 with a VESA local bus.
2. Build an all SCSI drives box.
3. CD-ROM drive with a proprietary interface. Comes with a card, etc.
4. Tape drive that connects to the floppy controller.

For additional fun...

1. Still Looking...I miss my VLB system.
2. Researching controllers, looking for extremely cheap deals on craigslist
3. I had that with my *SECOND* sound blaster. i might try the same configuration.
4. Never tried that...closest was a colorado tape backup, but i'm sure it was IDE.

I'm going to try out OS/2 i think. I never got around to trying it. I also bought a $12 IDE RAID caching controller that can handle 4 drives. I'll put that in my Win98SE box. I never tried RAID on IDE drives.

I always wanted a Roland in my system. Not sure whats the best way, but I'm reading up on it. Also, I remember someone selling an original Adlib card about a year ago on craigslist for $20. I should have bought it, since they go for $150-200 on ebay.

I bought a $3 SATA to IDE adapter to put on a 36gb raptor in the Win98SE box, just to see if it works. My 36gb raptor has been just gathering dust...maybe this will work.

I completely forgot that when changing out hard drives you need to change the BIOS hard drive setting or you'll screw up the hard disk....messed up the DOS system twice now doing that.

Ok...i'm going to go play some more Falcon 3.0.....and eagerly await while my $15 Thrustmaster FCS/WCS hotas comes. =)

Last edited:
For additional fun...

I use to have something like the above but the cd rom ran off the motherboard. Man I remember those old school multimedia upgrade kits with like 2x or 4x cd-roms that ran off the sound card. I use to have a tape drive that ran off the floppy controller as well.

Back