Norton Vs Mcaffe Vs SP2's thing

LampShade

n00b
My Norton Antivirus's one year subscription is set to expire in the coming week. I have used Norton ever since I switched to it from MacAfee a long time ago. I love NAV and have had 0 problems with it. It has caught numerous viruses, never has hindered my machine's performance, etc.

So now I have three choices:
Buy new NAV
Switch to MacAfee for free via University license thingy(It has been some time since I used them and they may be better now?)
Use only the SP2 stuff

I've always used NAV and have had no problems with it so I guess I'm asking what your thoughts are on the situation. Is MacAfee now comparable to NAV? Will SP2’s AV do fine?(I have little to no knowledge about its built in AV)

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Lampshade

I use norton, I recently downloaded the sp2 thing and I hate it so much, or rather hated it is the correct term I disabled its ass the day after I installed sp2 I have run norton 02 for 2 years without a single virues getting on my system and as a result I like it. :D

for home pc nothing beats trend micro's PC-Cillin. We use it all the time in bsuinesses as well. IT works 1000x better than any of the other mainstream home antivirus products.

LampShade said:
Will SP2’s AV do fine?(I have little to no knowledge about its built in AV)

SP2 does not have any built in AV software. The security center attempts to report on if you have AV software installed and it's status.

McAfee is good software, our university offers McAfee 7 as a perpetual license as long as you are a student. I would say go with McAfee, its free and does the job just as well as the others.

i use NAV corp 7.5 and installed sp2
havent seen any probs yet .

I would say at this point unless you need the management capabilities - they all work about the same. Some have slightly better detection rates and others will have slightly more frequent updates, but the difference is minimal.

I'd go with what ever is free.

oakfan52 said:
for home pc nothing beats trend micro's PC-Cillin. We use it all the time in bsuinesses as well. IT works 1000x better than any of the other mainstream home antivirus products.

Agreed.

A popular consumer electronics store uses PC-Cillin at their shops. Why they did PC-Cillin over OfficeScan, I dont know. But they use it.

twest17 said:
reinstall nortons then your subscription will go for another year...

Wrong, Norton stores a special registry key deep within thats next to impossible to find and rip out. You'll still just end up with expired freshly installed Norton.

Personally, I hate McAFee with a true passion.

IceWind said:
Wrong, Norton stores a special registry key deep within thats next to impossible to find and rip out. You'll still just end up with expired freshly installed Norton.

Reinstalling Norton was a viable option with certain versions (for obvious reasons I am not posting which versions). Norton now stores the subscription information in an encoded file on the hard drive and in the registry which make circumventing the subscription much more difficult. (Again for obvious reasons I am not posting the reg keys, files, or their locations)

We use McAfee at work and love it - and if your University will give it to you for free, you can't beat the price. I'd say go with that.

SJConsultant said:
Reinstalling Norton was a viable option with certain versions (for obvious reasons I am not posting which versions). Norton now stores the subscription information in an encoded file on the hard drive and in the registry which make circumventing the subscription much more difficult. (Again for obvious reasons I am not posting the reg keys, files, or their locations)

Is there an echo in here?

For me and all my clients I've just gotten systemworks 2003 off of half.com for under $10 shipped. Can't beat it, has all the norton stuff before it got (more) bloated and really slow with NAV2k4. Kinda nice to have ghost and a bunch of other stuff thrown in there. And, since I reinstall more or less once a year its fine subscriptionwise.

IceWind said:
Well excuse me... I didn't know it had changed since I last used nav03

Back