Norton Internet Security vs. McAffee Internet Security??

Bad Goat

Limp Gawd
Well, I was just debating on which to get?

1)Norton Internet Securtiy Suite- $60

2)McAffee Internet Securty Suite- $45

They both offer a firewall, spamblocker, AntiVirus and other various stuff...Just trying to make a decision and some input would be nice.

Thanks for the info:)

I guess I would pick Norton, 'cause McAfee has hosed my system many a time, but that's more personal bias then actual software difference. I bet they perform about the same.

Your other option is doing it for free:

firewall: ZoneAlarm
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

anti-virus: AVG
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

spyware:
AdAware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com
Spybot S&D - http://www.safer-networking.org/
SpySweeper - http://www.webroot.com/wb/downloads/index.php

Spamblocker -
dig around here: http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/
I don't use one currently..
good luck! :)

I'd personally get the norton system works thing. It comes with a shitload of programs for like 65 bucks on newegg, and I've never had anything but fantastic luck with symantec products.

OK.

First off McAfee's virus scanning engine is superior than Norton so McAfee gets the nod in Virus Scan Engine comparisons, but:

Virus Scan 8 is a heavily stripped down and retarded version of McAfee Virus Scan 7. It has half the options of VS7, and twice the problems. Even though technically virus wise it is just as good as virus scan 7 it's a huge step backwards, they reprogrammed the whole thing and built it on activeX and frankly lots of people don't like it. It's missing basic features that all virus scanners have including logging functions. That's right Virus Scan 8 has no logs at all. In addition the very little schedule options, very little options to automate what to do when a virus is found, no true silent update feature(it will always pop-up a window even if it's updated and if you don't click that window VS8 will not reinitialize meaning it's useless unless you're there to click the window). So I would stay away from Mcafee Virus scan 8. I would also stay away from Norton 2004 as well as it's inferior to norton's 2003 suite.

Firewall wise Norton's is better than McAfee's hands down IMO, but there's good free firewalls just as good like zonealarm, kerio 2.1.5, and sygate. I really do like Norton's firewall the best out of them all though myself but that's personal preference.

Spamwise there's better free stuff out than what you get with either of those antivirus companies stuff like Spampal and SAproxy so I don't even bother.

I would stay away from both McAfee's suite and Norton's 2004 suite and look either at the earlier bundles or another set of brands.

He he....more intarweb crap:

Mcafee's virus scanning engine is NOT superior to Norton's. Nothing is superior to Norton (Symantec) if your only comparing scanning engines. MaxPC just did a reviews of these two, plus AVG virus scanner, and they pretty much slapped mcafee for being a shitty product. AVG got a slight nod over Norton simply because it's free.

Wow so maximum PC's the authority on virii huh?

McAfee detects more malware than norton, in all the real virii tests not the likes of PC Mag or maximum PC.

Now I agree McAfee VS8 is kinda crappy and if you read my post you'd see why, but it does detect more than Norton.

You can tell right there from AVG getting thier top pick that thier tests were BS from a detection standpoint because Norton finds more stuff than AVG as well. AVG is actually a very poor virus scanner that only does ok if you test it right. But hey it's free right?

Saying that it protects you the least but is free therefore the best is a very flawed conlusion in my opinion.

Originally posted by mAcOdIn
Wow so maximum PC's the authority on virii huh?

McAfee detects more malware than norton, in all the real virii tests not the likes of PC Mag or maximum PC.

Now I agree McAfee VS8 is kinda crappy and if you read my post you'd see why, but it does detect more than Norton.

You can tell right there from AVG getting thier top pick that thier tests were BS from a detection standpoint because Norton finds more stuff than AVG as well. AVG is actually a very poor virus scanner that only does ok if you test it right. But hey it's free right?

Saying that it protects you the least but is free therefore the best is a very flawed conlusion in my opinion.

I don't think you could be more wrong. Second, my conclusion is not based on MaxPCs article. It's based on our lab tests at work and why we have a massive site license for Symantec and not Mcafee. Second, AVG detects as many virii has the other two products. I would believe our security experts over some mag reviewers any day of the week. I am sure Mcafee's virus detection isn't bad either. But there are more things to consider, such as server side management, system resources needed, scheduling of scans, etc. Hands down, Symantec makes the best.

Norton Antivirus and Symantec Antivirus are tow totally different things man. Symantec is awesome compared to Norton.

I know I didn't go into Norton like I did Mcafee but here goes. Norton 2003 and 2004 are both very solid products but norton 2004 has DRM issues which keep it working for alot of people and some kind of compression bug(forgot the name sorry). Being that Norton 2003 and 2004 have the same scanning engine 2003 gets the nod from me Norton wise.

McAfee's VS7 is just as solid, has just as good stuff as norton 2003 and maybe Symantec AV.

Anyways I don't really want to get into some kind of brand war 'cause I really don't care I'm just staying away from McAfee VS8 and Norton 2004. There are tons other great scanners like Kaspersky, Nod32, PC-Cillin, or Norton and McAfee's previouse versions.

I would not however recommend AVG and telling him to get Symantec AV is basically telling him to pirate software because that license is expensive.

I use Nortons anti-virus. For Firewalls I use Black Ice. I dont use an Ad Blocker. Currently Im downloading that Spy Sweeper that was posted above to deal with my spyware problems. I get a lot of grief from this stuff so I hope the free version has a "remove spyware" option because all other free ones dont.

Originally posted by garry26
I get a lot of grief from this stuff so I hope the free version has a "remove spyware" option because all other free ones dont.

????

Adaware
Spybot Search & Destroy
Hijack This

(see my link above)

and just to spell it out, I wouldnt use either McAfee or Norton\Symantec again see my link above

Back