Norton Ghost cloning?

mannyman

2[H]4U
i have a ide drive that was my primary drive, i want to clone it on to my 1 tb sata drive, but when i copied it with norton ghost it wont boot, it says its missing the boot mgr how do i clone a perfect copy?

What version of Ghost did you use?

In Version 14 and older, Norton did not really implement a good clone for the way Win7/Vista boots. Win7's bootloader requires looks for a 'bootmgr' on a disk with an exact 'signature'. If it can't find one, it faults with the 'no bootmgr' errors.

Three ways to fix it:
- Use Ghost 15. It understands windows boot manager and fixes the problem
- In Ghost 14 or earlier, click the "copy original disk signature". This method might work (sometimes it doesn't). When you are done you will have to make sure you remove the old boot drive because you can't have two drives with the same signature or Windows gets really pissed off.
- If you have your windows install disk, put the cloned disk you already made in the system, boot from the windows install disk, and select 'repair my system' rather than install. It should be able to fix the boot file (the BCD file) with the new disk signature.

Good luck!

well i have 15, heres the steps i did, copy drive drive c destination drive x, told it to make it active and it started, when it finished i turned the computer off unpluged the the ide drive and it wouldnt boot, thanks for the reply

Back