Norton Ghost 9: A question

gud4u

Limp Gawd
At present, my image backup and recovery method is using the GhostPE.exe boot disks created from Norton Systemworks Pro 2002 to image and restore partitions to/from CDs. Not an elegant solution, but it's proven quite reliable.

I'm moving to write/recover partition images to/from DVD+/-R media and I'm considering Norton Ghost 9.

My main concern:
If I write a C:\System partiton image to DVD media from within the Windows environment, am I going to be able to reliably restore that image to the system partition from DOS in the event of a Windows crash?

Any feedback from Ghost 9 user would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

gud4u said:
At present, my image backup and recovery method is using the GhostPE.exe boot disks created from Norton Systemworks Pro 2002 to image and restore partitions to/from CDs. Not an elegant solution, but it's proven quite reliable.

I'm moving to write/recover partition images to/from DVD+/-R media and I'm considering Norton Ghost 9.

My main concern:
If I write a C:\System partiton image to DVD media from within the Windows environment, am I going to be able to reliably restore that image to the system partition from DOS in the event of a Windows crash?

Any feedback from Ghost 9 user would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

Ghost 9 runs a little different. I've used Ghost off and on since version 5, and since you're using PE, you're most likely booting with a floppy and creating / restoring to CD / DVD. With Ghost 9, you actually install and run the program under windows. From there you can make a backup image of your Hard drive partitions much like the older versions do. If your drive crashes or you have to restore to a fresh HD, you'll boot using the Ghost 9 CD, and then you can do a restore from that point. I personally have created an image to an external USB drive (80 gig) that I restore from, but you can also create your image to a network drive or shared folder on a server, etc. I have not (at this point) created an image to CD or DVD yet though, but I'm sure it provides options for it.

Hope this helps.

Ax

Norton Ghost 9 is a sham. Its just Powerquest V2i and Ghost 2003. To bad they didn't make a product that can actually image disks onto larger ones without have to screw with the damn partition to get it to work.

I went and bought GHost 9 and its utter garbage all it is a castrated version of Powerquest Drive Image 2002. I have drive Image 2002 and its still better then the new ghost so I use Ghost 2k3 and Drive Image 2002 and Arconis true Image

What an adventure! I ordered the Acronis True Image 8 retail package, and got a sealed retail package without a serial number. No S/N - no install! Of course Acronis won't help - they think I'm a thief trying to crack someone's TI8 CD.

So I'm waiting on an RMA for another Acronis TI8 package.

However - I did find a good inexpensive combo package that provides both Windows-based imaging and DOS-based programs from http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

If you buy the Windows-based program, the DOS-based package comes with it. You'll need the DOS-based imager for imaging your OS partition. Both programs work very well.

Back