Norton Ghost 14 - Cannot make image from boot CD

night_2004

2[H]4U
I was hoping that someone might be able to help me out on this one.

Ghost v14 does not support making drive or file backups from within the boot CD. This is something that Norton acknowledges, and something that I'm highly annoyed about.

I've been using an older version of Acronis True Image successfully with XP32, Vista32, and Vista64 for years. I've also used BartPE to allow me to backup/restore from outside of the operating system. I was kind of hoping that a similar BartPE plug in would work for Ghost 14.

But so far, my Google kung-fu has failed to find a solution. I can't find any references to Ghost 14 working on BartPE, only Ghost 8 or 9. This is highly annoying.

Does anyone have an experience getting Ghost 14 to make image backups from outside of the OS?

Holy crap I didnt even know that Ghost was up to v14. Why not just use ghost32? It works...

AFAIK Ghost14 can make backups onle from the OS while running, and the bootcd is only for rescue purposes, dont quote me, take a second opinion.

Holy crap I didnt even know that Ghost was up to v14. Why not just use ghost32? It works...

I've been hunting, but Ghost32.exe does not exist on the install/boot CD nor can I legally acquire it through my license for Ghost 14.

I'm working with Ghost as part of a product review that is going to be published online in a few weeks. Since Norton's forums show that they're not interested in supporting this feature, I figured that I would ask the forum that might know how to pull it off.

AFAIK Ghost14 can make backups onle from the OS while running, and the bootcd is only for rescue purposes, dont quote me, take a second opinion.

Yup...and therein lies the problem. I consider it an essential feature in a backup product, to be able to backup files from a boot CD or similar.

Is there a reason you use Ghost instead of the popular Acronis True Image?

Back