Norton Antivirus Doesn't Like Microsoft Edge

HardOCP News

[H] News
Norton Antivirus doesn't want you to use Microsoft Edge because it doesn't have extensions? Microsoft couldn't care less. Fight! Fight! Fight!

While Microsoft Edge has high speed test results, Cortana integration, and the ability to annotate web pages, there is one major feature set that is not going to be included in the initial rollout, extensions. Because of this, some users are ruling out switching until extensions are supported but it’s not just users who aren’t keen on an extensionless browser. Norton Antivirus is asking users to switch their default browser to something other than Edge because of its lack of extensions.

who installs norton these days my first thing i do when i setup a new laptop is nuke that garbage from orbit...

why is a lack of extensions bad?
Because norton wants to hook onto your web browser and monitor/control everything you do over it. Really not necessary there is more than one way to redirect and monitor internet traffic.

No body cares about Norton though. Can't it just die? I had to take it off a brand new laptop because it bogged it down to shit, and broke the WiFi.

Norton is an excellent program. However, there is no way I will be dictated to on what browser I would choose to use and which one I will not.

Norton is not that bad, not intrusive in any way. It used to be really bad, but when Comcast started giving it for free for all paying customers its been great. I ve been using it for years now, no issues.

A Symantec rep used to send me Norton 360 keys every year around christmas, never used any of them coz Norton.

Norton is not that bad, not intrusive in any way. It used to be really bad, but when Comcast started giving it for free for all paying customers its been great. I ve been using it for years now, no issues.

I have quite a few issues with Norton, especially with those "Best of" lists that populate the internet with 500 ads per page. My browser freezes half the time. On my Mac, or my laptop, which don't have Norton, everything works fine.

It want's to install a toolbar that has safesearch ratings for web pages that they probably make money off.
For non techies it's better than nothing or Windows Defender and tries to babysit you assuming you're an idiot, which some people desperately need.

why is a lack of extensions bad?

I guess you enjoy surfing the web filled with flashing ads and running every malware script imaginable by default.

A browser without noscript and adblock is a serious no-no.

Microsoft can't be seen as anti commerce. If they gave us extendz us nasty users would all install ad blocks. :)

I am sure edge is an upgrade from IE... only the illiterate run IE. For the rest of us I doubt we where planning on running the MS browser. Never mind anything from the largest malware company in the world.

Norton might as well be malware itself.

It is. It is a clever marketing tactic and common misconception by PC enthusiasts. It is not an "anti-virus," as in it is anti to viruses, it is an actual virus of the "anti" type. Once had to reformat my whole HDD in order to reverse catastrophic damage it did upon mere installation and initial scan (without actually detecting any viruses). It is now on a machine I am borrowing, and it has embedded itself into the operating system so much that I am unable to uninstall it. Comes up with errors every time I try. It's a monster.

I guess you enjoy surfing the web filled with flashing ads and running every malware script imaginable by default.

A browser without noscript and adblock is a serious no-no.
Lol noscript is this still 2006?

It is. It is a clever marketing tactic and common misconception by PC enthusiasts. It is not an "anti-virus," as in it is anti to viruses, it is an actual virus of the "anti" type. Once had to reformat my whole HDD in order to reverse catastrophic damage it did upon mere installation and initial scan (without actually detecting any viruses). It is now on a machine I am borrowing, and it has embedded itself into the operating system so much that I am unable to uninstall it. Comes up with errors every time I try. It's a monster.

More than likely something has damaged Norton. Have you heard of the Norton removal tool?

I remember about 5 years ago a customers entire network was shut down for some reason. None of the PCs could see each other or the internet.

All the settings were perfect, networking all working as it should do. Baffling.

Then I decided to open up the Norton360 that was installed on all the machines.

For some reason 360 had decided to 'untrust' every PC on the network from each other. Five minutes later I had all the machines 'trusted' via 360 and all was fine again.

We dumped 360 on that network pretty soon afterwards. Have strived to get rid of it anywhere I've found it.

I really hate the 'Security Suites'. Just need a pure antivirus scanner, that's all.

Integrating with the browser is the only way AV's can stop Grandma from running the malware she just clicked on.

MS is dropping MSE not that its working that well anymore now. Despite everyone's personal grudges against Norton or MS, there's a massive gaping hole. Most everyone here is IT at work or IT at home, Norton has a point, good luck dealing with it.

No it's 1995 judging from you.
Just saying noscript adds nothing but a UI to a modern browser.

It's secure features are already features xss, clickjacking, man in the middle, CSRF etc are already part of modern browsers security features.

Click to play plug-ins is a thing modern browsers have.

As far as disabling javascript besides breaking half the sites now of days, why anyone would want that is beyond me. If you really want you can just set up 2 zones between trusted websites you regularly visit and the rest of the internet and block javascript for the rest but run it for trusted. You can also distrust javascript from 3rd parties frames if you really care. No script was a great tool when it came out but it hasn't changed browsers have.

The user is the best antivirus, I can't remember the last time I've been infected.. And it doesn't matter if Norton likes it or not, many applications will be build around IE/Edge's new framework, they will have to adapt if they want to keep their corporate customers..

I'm using Edge even though LastPass is a no go with it, and I'm happy. Chrome hasn't been installed yet and I won't until I absolutely have to.

Aww too bad Norton.

The user is the best antivirus

Depends on the user. For about 6-7 billion people the user is the worst possible AV solution you could have.

Cornhole your system? Yes? No? YES!

Destroy your files? Yes? No? YES! YES!

Hijack your identity? Yes? No? (Note: You REALLY should say "NO") YES! YES! YES!

Bang your wife, shoot your dog, steal your car, burn down your house and have you sent to prison to have your colon destroyed by a guy named Fred Footballdick? Yes? No?

Uh? What? No! No w..ah hell, GIMME! GIMME! GIMME!

Integrating with the browser is the only way AV's can stop Grandma from running the malware she just clicked on.
Norton's bloated toolbar crudware is part of the reason that extensions are getting banned. Some of those AV Add-ons are painful. Part of the time they are just trying to hook into the search for debatable reasons.

If you have decent antivirus on the PC, and Grandma clicks on a bad link, then the anti-virus will spot the file as it enters the filing system. There is no need for extra toolbars at a belts and braces level.

A few too many of the anti-virus companies have linked up with search engines to make a profit out of you the user - AVG I am looking at you here as a prime offender.

Because norton wants to hook onto your web browser and monitor/control everything you do over it. Really not necessary there is more than one way to redirect and monitor internet traffic.

Exactly! If you use their extensions they can grab all your data and sell it. Extensions also open browsers up to exploits. The LAST thing Norton wants is secure software that's in common use especially not when its a major attack vector like the web browser

Sounds like Vista all over again. Symantec bitched then at they couldn't tie into parts of the OS that they wanted to as it was being too secure. Now they are bitching the a browser doesn't support extensions. Which IE metro didn't support either so nothing new.

Norton is an excellent program. However, there is no way I will be dictated to on what browser I would choose to use and which one I will not.

You and many others keep preaching that, and while I believe adblock for browsers works well for most people (though it has side effects which sometimes are worse than ads)... but I wholeheartedly disagree that "active" protection antivirus is any good for power users. Many more headaches than problems solved. The fact is, I haven't yet found an active protection A/V product that actually works well enough to be worth the hassle of maintenance, performance cost, etc.

I haven't used active anti-virus aside from Windows Defender (AKA Security Essentials) for 10 years now (and very occasional passive scans with Malware Bytes). I go to all the bad places on the net: Tor, BitTorrent, etc... but I'm smart about what I click on. I haven't had malware or an A/V-related headache in 10 years... but everyone else I know who's brainwashed into thinking they need it is having constant headaches with it - more headaches than they would have prevented virus/malware infections.

Of course, there are users who are just going to get infected, in those cases maybe active protection does more good than bad but it's still not preventing them from getting infected pretty often...

Back