Norton Antivirus 2002 COMMON CLIENT help please

derrty6232

n00b
Hey guys, I'm new here and I need some help.
I am using windows XP and I have norton antivirus 2002 installed. Lately, it seems that when I LiveUpdate the virus definitions, a window pops up saying, "LiveUpdate must update Symantec Common Client. Please install the update first, restart your computer, and run LiveUpdate again." I am not sure what to do. I restarted the pc and run liveupdate again and the same problems occur. Does anybody know how I can fix this?? Thanks for any help in advance. Thanks......

2002! :eek: Time to update eh? A wee bit outdated, doesn't know how to handle many of todays threats.

Try start==>run==> type in "luall" without the quotes. Run it a few times til nothing left, reboot, run again. Sometimes that can help update components.

anybody know?? please help...worried about the kama sutra worm everybody is talking about...

It's out of support
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nav/discontinued.html

Over 4 years old..not being supported or getting program updates anymore from the (so you're very limited in protection...BESIDES just definition updates) is a bad thing to follow as far as your antivirus. The basic engine...definition updates aside, the old outdated engine doesn't know how to deal with todays threats. Even if it had current definitions installed, it's not protecting you nearly as adequately as newer programs can.

Have you tried installing the latest Live Update? I'm not sure it if will even work on your version
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/1999051911110813

But there are newer components, and it's probably looking for components of the newer antivirus versions that yours doesn't have...falling under the "not supported anymore" category.

Maybe something is corrupted in your install, might try uninstalling it, then cleaning out the remains with SymNRT.exe...or if their new removal tool doesn't support your ancient version, find their old removal tool...rnav2003.exe Then reinstall it...run live update like crazy.

Suggestion...if you're worried about protection today, and perhaps the clinging onto this old version is because you don't want to purchase a new one, go with a free antivirus. Most of the free ones are many times better than Symantec anyways. Try Avast, or AVG, or CA's eTrust <== my recommendation.

Or if you feel like purchasing, go with the best...Kapersky or NOD32.

My rule of thumb for clients...do not let your antivirus program get more than 2x years old in program version.

Back