norton alternatives

Zuriick

Limp Gawd
i like norton b/c it keeps my computer healty, but it tends to bog things down a lot and if i ignore it, it randomly boots me out of games to ask me pointless questions.

aside from that, is this free Avira Antivirus worth giving up Norton Internet Security for? or is there something else? I don't really want to fork up 60 dollars for another year of subscription.

Eset Smart Security v4.

There is no other recommendation. If you want free AV software only, that would be Avira, simple. But as for a suite of utilities, Smart Security is the king these days.

aside from that, is this free Avira Antivirus worth giving up Norton Internet Security for? or is there something else? I don't really want to fork up 60 dollars for another year of subscription.

Yes Avira Anti-Vir Free Edition is totally worth giving up Norton Internet Security for. Better detection rates, significantly less resource usage and best of all: it's free. If you check this link, you'll see that Avira managed to find 71% of new and possibly unknown viruii while Norton 2009 had a detection rate of 44%

Only links to the main page are allowed, Danny Bui. AV-Comparatives are quite clear about that.

Zuriick, if you want to look, go to http://www.av-comparatives.org/, click on the Comparatives link on the left side, and read the latest one - the November 2008 Online results.

i like eset smart security v4. use to be obsessed with kaspersky, but i honestly can feel it running my computer down of late, so eset all the way.

As much as I couldn't stand Symantec over the past "many" years, especially due to its bloat...their latest 2009 version is actually LIGHTER than Antivir and NOD32.

Their latest version has a "silent" feature so it will not popup while you're gaming and make you CTD.

Its detection rate is within a whisker of AntiVir, it's removal ability is actually much stronger than AntiVirs.

The 71% and 44% mentioned below....need to understand and comprehend some of the tests at AV-Comparatives. The latest Nov test was for heuristics only. Meaning..."no latest definitions". Symantecs latest approach with updates is called "pulse"...your receive small updates every 5-15 minutes now. Yes..within each 15 minute period!

If you look at the test before that...the "on demand" test, which is detection using defintions..they're quite close..within 1%.

AntiVir is my vote for the "freebie" antivirus products. NOD32 is my vote for "I'm gonna buy one". But comparing Symantec to AntiVir..if he already has Symantec, (and you can find it for less than 60)...I'd say get the latest version. Symantec really is back in the game for home users...it's wicked WICKED light now, and they really kicked arse in cranking up their detection and removal rates.

thank you for you help, mates. I think I am going to stick with norton since it is running lighter on the resources now. and my mum paid for it, lol.

Back