• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Northern lights

Vigilante

Gawd
Joined
Mar 20, 2002
Messages
575
Last night i was around 22k feet over lake michigan when i noticed a long ass strip of lights...sure enough it was a great display of the northern lights. It was mostly green with some flares of white and blue here and there...it was very nice to watch from the plane...there was alot of cloud cover so i woulda missed out if i were on the ground..the one time i dont have a camera handy..they are supposed to be abundant this week but i doubt ill be able to get any decent pics of any from here in ny.. hopefully someone out there has some nice ones.
 
Indeed--that would be neat to see pictures of. Anyone care to share?
 
i've never seen them, so i have to ask, do they realyl move fast like the movies show them?
 
Originally posted by fatbob_158
i've never seen them, so i have to ask, do they realyl move fast like the movies show them?
Although I haven't seen them personally either, most of those pics are 10+ sec exposures with little or no blur... so I doubt they've got much zoom zoom.
 
I see them here in Wisconsin every once in a while. Saw a beautiful show last summer when I was backpacking at Isle Royale National Park (basically a big beautiful island in the middle of lake superior). I would describe their movement as "wave like". Almost an ocean in the sky. Very beautiful.

-TJ
 
You sort of have to use inverted vision..i forgot the actual term..but if you look at them I cant really tell the difference but from the corner of my eye I can see the wake like movement.
www.Spaceweather.com is a great place to go to find out when some gool solar storms are expected.
 
Gondi, those are some neat shots. I was hoping for some that one of us had taken, though.
 
for the guy who wants to know if they move fast, yes, very fast

I fly up north into the high arctic and see them quite often and they can run in waves, thousands of miles in seconds
 
When we had the Solar Storm I could see them in Ohio. Not liek they are in the photos, just a big slash of glowing red.
 
Back
Top