Northbridge Chipset Cooling

icehokplyr

Limp Gawd
My northbridge chipset fan started making a funny noise yesterday and started slowing down also, setting off my high temperature alarm. I took the fan out and cleaned it and then said what the hell, and purchased a new one from ABIT for $11.00 including shipping. It comes with the adhesive tape too. Any other suggestions on this matter? This MB is only 8 months old. Ahhh, nevermind, it's anchient. Time to upgade. Suggestions, suggestions..... Thanks in advance to all of you. :D

ryuji said:
far from ancient

Atta boy. That's good stuff there. I just like to stay up-to-date and keep up. My MB isn't that old but I do think it's time to change. I have the Presscott AI7 Abit MoBo. It runs hotter than normal so that may be why I am changing out the fan already. I didn't even OC my machine. What do you think I should do? Stay with it or change?
Thanks for your response.

fix the chipset cooler because you have a zalman it will cool the nb sink,

Thanks for your help bro. I ordered the fan and it should be here by tomorrow. I'll be up and running again in no time.

you may need to bend some fins on the nb sink to get it to fit under the zalman cpu sink but because of the mounting system, you actualy can offset the sink on the northbridge because its a custom put wire into the fins mounting

i see i didnt tell how i made the mounting, i cut up a wire fan grill and bent it DO NOT make it tight, you want it to 'spring' about 5-7 mms to go into the loop, if you dont follow this you will rip the loops out of your mobo, which abit sinks tend to do ironically

That's awesome bro. I didn't realize you used plastic fan grills. I'll try to make it look the same and wont make it too tight. I'll make sure I'm accurate on my measurements too. I will let you know how it turns out and ask you for help if I need it.

I can't believe that today is Wednesday morning and I still have not gotten the fan shipped to me yet. I hate ordering from any place other than Newegg. Newegg spoils you Bro. They deliver your products within two to four days. I'm waiting a week now for this fan I ordered from Abit.
Anyway, I didn't realize you made it out of metal grills. Looks like good stuff. I'm still going to try and duplicate it. I'll let you know if I ever get my fan.

why would you need custom mounting system if you bought a new nb cooler from abit, it comes with mounting

I like to mod my own things. I am always messing with it. I like to make the inside look good and your setup looks good with the fan grills.

Got the fan and it is working like new again. I haven't had time yet to do any mods but I will soon. Thanks again Brother.

Okay, here were my NB fan RPM speeds before I installed the new cooling fan:
5760, 5820, 5880, 5940.
Now that the new fan is in my RPM speeds are as follows:
4680, 4620, 4740.

As you can see the RPM speed is slightly lower with the new cooling fan. Could that be a problem? I'm just curious.
Thanks in advance.....

The Abit fan is trash. But, that aside it's probably lower RPM so the fan doesn't begin it's incessant whine/eventual stopping within 6 months of use.

I got sick of oiling mine to work, replaced it with a passive sink.

SilverSliver said:
The Abit fan is trash. But, that aside it's probably lower RPM so the fan doesn't begin it's incessant whine/eventual stopping within 6 months of use.

what do you use and how you mod a audigy 2 to a audigy 4... theres physical differences with the card

SilverSliver said:

Thanks for your help Bro.

Do a search on the audio forums. I used the augidy 4 software suite and a hacked version of the audigy 4 drivers. It isn't truly an Audigy 4, but, at least I have installation software now as well as the new Audigy suite.

Back