Northbridge block, is it necessary?

BioPort

Gawd
im looking into getting a small kit for my first foray into the world of water cooling. i have an athlon xp 3200+, 1gb of ram, and a 6800gt on a dfi lanparty motherboard. since my mobo has a passively cooled northbridge heatsink, is it going to be necessary to get a waterblock for that too?

in some cases it adds OC if your going over 250 FSB id say it matters if not then its best NOT to have it

u want to avoid it at all costs basically. Because it makes the loop bigger in turn decreasing flow rate and increasing heat in the water.

Just get a good aircooler for your NB. A lot of people like the Thermalright NB-1, and a lot of people like the Swiftech MCX-159. Personally, I went for the Swiftech because it's only 18dB and works quite well.

I'm just going to get a NB-1C northbridge heatsink and fan for my motherboard. I really don't think the cost, additional tubing, and increase in water temp is worth the benefits of cooling the northbridge.
A good HSF on the northbridge (like the all copper NB-1C) should do just lovely.

wouldn't increasing the tubing length increase ambient exchange? Thus either improving cooling or having no effect? how could it make it worse?

most of the exchange happens in your radiator. very little happens through the tubes. however, excess tubing creates friction which slows down your flowrate.

Back