Northbridge 680i, should I water cool?

J_Devil

n00b
Hey guys. I'm dealing with a dilemma that maybe some of you have already figured out. I'm about buy my first water cooling system and the kit comes with a CPU block. I thought I'd also water cool my northbridge also since I'm going to be overclocking even further. My problem is this: If I water cool the NB, then I have to buy something for the South bridge because the heat pipes have to come off -- evga has fan specificly for the SB in water cooling situations (http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=202-F1-MB01-01&family=99 and its cheap.. 6.99.. buuut, shipping is an insane 12 bucks! The total comes to a ridiculose 19 dollars for this little dinky fan :mad: The NB waterblock plus this fan with s/h will total over 50 dollars. For that much, I could water cool my 8800 instead =/

So here is the question. My FSB is at 370mhz right now, 680i mobo, E6600 CPU running Linked/Synced. I want my FSB at 400, and maybe a little more. Is all this hassle to water cool my NB needed? Neither Core Temp nor NvMonitor show northbridge temps, so I don't know what they are underload, but my CPU gets to 62ish degrees right now (if thats any sort of hint to the temp of my NB) If I should water cool them than I have no problem doing it (save for the shpping on that silly SB fan >.>) but if not, I'd sooner buy a VGA block.

Many thanks, responders.

What is your budget for H20 cooling. I have the same MB and mine is totally H20 cooled.

The kit I'm buying, Swiftech H20-220-APEX-GT (Link) is going to cost me 250.00 + s/h which leaves me about $50 for another block, or what ever else.

Back