Nortel Baystack Switch? The good, the bad?

Karandras

[H]ard|Gawd
I just picked up a 350-24t for about $65 USD (ish), pretty decent deal for a 24 port 10/100 managed switch. Anyone here used one and have any suggestions about using/upgrading...etc...etc.

Anyways, haven't even got it out of the box yet. I'm sitting in my CCN300 class right now so I can't do anything with it yet :-/

thnx all.

350s are aight,

not the greatest architecture, but hey...get the job done,

im managing about 500 baystack 460s at the moment ... ask away if you have any questions.

they are pretty decent switches, we used them as our core (ugh) switches up until recently for an 800 computer network... they were at 100% util per port pretty much all day and survived so more power to'em lol

I'm managing about 50 350s. Again, they compare nowhere to my 3500's, 3550's or 3750's but they get the job done. I've acutally only had 2 fail and they've been installed for atleast 7 years

ya we had a few fail also, but ive fixed them... problem was the +12v line on the PSU likes to die, the only thing that uses the +12v is the fans, so they overheat... easy to fix with a 12v wallwart :p

they were excuses to pick up some 3500xl's. even though i actually fixed both. i still have both just incase another dies and they wont buy another. oh yea, i have had a blackdiamond 6800 die, but thats not a 350. but they did replace it with a 6506 with dual sup3's. mmmmm, 720Gbps backblane = love++

I was going to pick up some 350-HD's for my lans, but i was told to look for atleast the 450's.. Instead the place that hosts the lans' went out and bought us gigabit linksys stuff so.. :)

It's loud. :(
I did some mods to mine to make it quieter but even with stelth fans, its loud.

Failing hey :-/ Well if it is just the 12+ line that dies that should be easy enough to fix if it fails.

This thing isn't nearly as loud as the 3Com SS2 3300 I had, wow, that sounded like a stealth bomber starting up its engines....couldn't handle that. Its all going in a rack in the basement in the end anyways so no biggie.

I was going to get a 450 but I'm cheap and couldn't afford the extra $75 for one. What are the big differences between them? I just wanted a 24 port switch that I could play with vlans and such, is it pretty easy to setup? I'm going to play with that today while waiting for my satellite installer, hopefully he shows up this time :-/ grrr....

Ok, first off, yay here is an image (get to play with my new camera too :-D)

NetworkPic001.JPG

Second thing, I can't seem to connect to the console port. COM1 or 2, 300bps-56000, flow control on or off or whatever. Using VTY100 and Auto, tried two terminal programs HyperTerm and HyperAccess. It just won't connect for me. :-/

Can anyone help?

Is there a way to set the switch to factory defaults without plugging into the console port?

Thanks!

hey.. i have that same netgear.. i love the fact it has a console port on it.. very nice.. i recovered this router from a bad flash *guy sold it for dirt cheap too*

LittleMe said:
they were excuses to pick up some 3500xl's. even though i actually fixed both. i still have both just incase another dies and they wont buy another. oh yea, i have had a blackdiamond 6800 die, but thats not a 350. but they did replace it with a 6506 with dual sup3's. mmmmm, 720Gbps backblane = love++

In order to get 720Gbps on a 6506 you'd need the Sup Engine 720 not a SUPIII - which they don't even make for a 6506. Only a SUP 1A, SUP 2, and SUP 720 are available for a 6506.

Can it just use a DB9f-DB9f on the com port for the console? I've tried from two computers and I still can't get it. :-/

Karandras69 said:
Can it just use a DB9f-DB9f on the com port for the console? I've tried from two computers and I still can't get it. :-/

Make sure your using a console cable - just any cable may not work. I know with Cisco switches you can't use just any DB9 cable.

This is what I got, it worked with my 3Com SS2 3300 no problem, "Serial Null Modem Data Cable DB9f to DB9f" Should I be using something else with this switch?

Gah, it is just a RS232 serial modem cable that it needs :-/ Now I get to play to find out what the connection problem is. Yay fun.

edicted said:
In order to get 720Gbps on a 6506 you'd need the Sup Engine 720 not a SUPIII - which they don't even make for a 6506. Only a SUP 1A, SUP 2, and SUP 720 are available for a 6506.

The SUP720 is refered to as the MSFC3 which I handly call the SUP3 for a 6506.

Go grab a null modem converter from radio shack, I have to use it to get console on my 350. I don't know if the cable itself is null modem, but I dont use the connecter when connecting to a serial port (EMP port) of my intel server.

Ok, I've searched all over but nothin'. Does anyone know how to reset these to factory defaults without access to the console port (so some sort of manual way) 350-24t.

thnx

Back