Normalize volume?

MrMitch

Spinning Drives Rule!
Howdy all,

just built my first HTPC, using Media Center. Loving it, only thing is my files have huge differrences in volume.

Most i can leave my TV volume around 40, Video_TS folders, but some MKV require me to pump into the 90's just to hear anything.

any easy way to make media center equalize volume on my files?

Would like to know as well, though I'm guessing this would be more of a TV setting...

In "Speakers" there's a setting in Enhancement for "Loudness Equalization", but ATI HDMI doesn't have the option. Don't know how well it works either.

Normalizing volume should really only be done if you can't turn up the volume due to disturbing neighbors or you are worried about your speakers getting blown due to the sudden change of volume to abnormal ranges.

Are you bitstreaming the audio to your amplifier, or are you running a direct output to your speakers?

If you are using speakers without an amplifier and are instead expecting the tv to pick up the volume from the output of your soundcard i would recommend getting AC3filter.

It is an open source AC3 DTS and FLAC decoder and will likely remove the problem you are talking about. The nicest thing about it is that you can boost all the output without having to normalize so you still get what the "author" originally intended the audio to sound like.

i have the same thing. different files/ different volumes. it depends on the source. normalizing would just screw up the sound of the other files

I'm experiencing a similar issue. I'm not sure if there is a good way to resolve this short of re-encoding my whole library. which is not a great option lol.

Back