Normal Idle temp of 8800gtx

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
Whats the normal idle temp of the 8800gtx? For some reason its reading like 76 C at idle. Is that right?

Depends on your case and airflow and ultimately ambient room temp. When I first installed my 8800GTX in my Antec P180 I was idling at around 68c in a 27c room. It's a hot card, but it'll run fine that way. 76c is a bit high for idle, but still fine.

I opened up the two PCI slots under the card to help exhaust air and moved my Antec Spot Cool fan next to the card to blow out. Dropped the idle temp to 63c/64c. Just ordered a dual slot blower (Antec Super Cyclone) which should do an even better job as it'll pull air straight out of the 8800 slots and out the back. Probably drop to 60 or lower idle.

Not knowing how cramped your case is, if you've got slot covers under the card I'd suggest you remove them for the time being, and think about improving airflow. The card should be fine in the end regardless. Mine hits the high 70s under load.

Mine is 54-55 idle. It's winter here in Waterloo, so room temp is ~20.

Just ordered a dual slot blower (Antec Super Cyclone) which should do an even better job as it'll pull air straight out of the 8800 slots and out the back. Probably drop to 60 or lower idle.

Exactly what i did (got the dual slot blower even).....lowered my temps from 63c to 53c

definitely not right. My idles at 47C when 100% fan speed with 25ish ambient, I have two slot exhaust and a 120mm fan, front panel has one 120mm and one 80mm intaker. CPU cooler is ZEROtherm BTF90 copper.

some of the things you could try:
upping fan speed via nTune
Slot exhaust fan (I consider this a must for 8800 cards)
Open the case (interim solution only)

one interesting method (no I havent tried yet) is remove the plastic enclosure embracing your 8800's heatsink and point a 80mm fan toward it, but doing this requires decent case exhust otherwise the hot air is all trapped inside which could increase your case temp considerably.

I don't know about you guys, but my biggest concern isn't actually the temp of my 8800gtx, but rather the Sound Blaster X-Fi below it that it cooks like an egg, and the several capacitors on my mobo near the exhaust vents of the 8800s heatsink that are ridiculously hot.

I installed that same Antec exhaust blower you guys mentioned and it's helped a lot. My 8800gtx idles about 57-59C now. I have the 8800 fan set at 78% always.

58c @ 80% fan speed.
1 PCI slot blower installed.

Seems like the $5 PCI card blowers are making a comeback!! :D

58c @ 80% fan speed.
1 PCI slot blower installed.

Seems like the $5 PCI card blowers are making a comeback!! :D

It won't let me change the fan speed. I change up the speed in ntune and hit apply and it goes back to 59%. Should I be able to hear the fan go faster?

I figured it out. I had to update my ntune. Now I can change the fan speed. I have it set at like 70% and I can not even really hear it. I'm now at 69 idle. 80% fan speed give me like 65 C idle so I feel much better now. A $5 fan blower like you people were talking about will help more right? Which one do you recommend for the 8800gtx?

The Antec Cyclone one is decent, but they're all made pretty junky so don't expect any of the slot blowers to be the same quality as the blower on your 8800. Just make sure you get one that sucks the air out of the case. There are some, including a different Antec model that pull cool air into the case, which would be totally counterproductive in our situation. We want to lower the air pressure around the vents of the 8800s heatsink and pull that hot air out the heatsink, through the slot blower, and out back of the case. It works really well.

My only suggestion is to get one that you can live with the noise. The Antec Cyclone is pretty quiet, but you will hear it over your 8800 if the 8800 fan is set to 85% or less. Most of the others I've seen and dealt with are a lot louder. I guess you could connect it to a fan controller if needed.

Well, as one poster mentioned, the 8800 GTX does cook the things around it. My chipset temps went up by at least 5 degrees into the red (50+) when I installed my 8800 GTX (which is so long that it lies right on top of the chipset fan).

Back