• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Normal Geforce 6800 GT Temperatures?

brooksje

n00b
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4
I was trying to get a handle on what a normal idle and load temperature are for a 6800 GT?

Installed a PNY 6800 GT last night, and after some tinkering with my case, It idles around 53-55C. Playing WoW, it was around 71C after 30-45 minutes of gameplay.

Testing with rthdribl in windowed mode, after 5-6 minutes it hits about 80-81C and then stayed in the 79-81C range for 15 more minutes and looked pretty stable there.

Should I be concerned with this?

Im thinking that my case fans are sub-par. I have 2x 80mm exhaust fans in the back, 1x 80mm side intake fan, and 1x 80mm exhaust fan blowing out on the top. They dont seem to move much air though, and came with the case. Installing the 2nd rear exhaust fan dropped the temperature from 60C to 55C almost instantaneously.

Would replacing the side intake fan with something more powerful, as well as the exhaust fans make a meaningful difference? Also I saw a recommendation for removing the PCI slot cover below the Graphics card? If so any recommendation on what fans? The current fans are rated at 24CFM, but if i put my hand over them, it seems like I can hardly feel the air move more than 1" or so away.

Id perfer not to mess with the card itself yet.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hardware =
Antec TruePower 2.0 430 Watt PS
Abit Ic7-Max3 MB
Pentium 4 3.0C
PNY Verteo Geforce 6800 GT
Corsair XMS matched memory 2x512
1x Dvd drive
1x Seagate HD
4x Case fans
 
That is pretty normal for a 6800 GT, depending on the ventilation in the case. The problem is mainly that the card generates alot of heat, and the stock cooler is mediocre. There are much better aftermarket coolers out there if you really want one, though.

With a NV Silencer 5, my 6800 GT at 400/1100 is about 10-15C cooler under load than it was with the stock cooler at 370/1000. Zalman makes a good aftermarket VGA cooler, too. I know you don't want to modify the card, but you aren't going to change much without changing the cooler, unless you add a bunch of extra fans blowing on the card.
 
So then the 80ish under full load temperature isnt really something to be too overly concerned with?

I think im definatly going to get a faster intake fan, it blows almost directly on the processor/card.
 
80ish is high for stock speeds but not high enough to be concerned about. Sounds to me that you have 3 exhaust and 1 intake?!! You might want to go with 3 intake an one exhaust or 2 - 2. You want to get cool air into the system and have some to exhaust the hot air. I have two 80mm intake in front, one 80mm intake on the side, and one 80mm in the back for exhaust. Granted the intakes are on low voltage to reduce noise but I can tell the fan are doing their job as I can easily feel the air moving. Another option is to get a aftermarket HS for the GPU. There is a good thread on Zalman VF-700Cu here.

I've got a very similar setup:
Abit IS7-E
Pentium 4 2.4C@3.1 Zalman Cooled (56C load)
eVGA Geforce 6800 GT @ 425/1100 Zalman Cooled (78C load)
Corsair XMS matched memory 2x512
 
I do have 3 out and 1 in atm.

The case has 2 spots on the back panel, 1 spot on the side, and 1 on the top.

How would you recommend configuring those? Reverse the top to blow downwards?
 
Take a dremel and cut some holes in the front! :D

I would try:
Side: Intake
1 or 2 Rear: Intake (try one first then two)
Top: Exhaust

I've played with my fan for hours trying to get the right air flow. The key is volume movement. You should easily feel the exhaust moving hot air out.
 
the best way for case cooling is the front for intake, side and back and top for outake
 
better yet, just buy a nice lil air conditioner and blow it directly at your computer case
 
so your saying i should flip around the back fans? When i first started, i was Idling at 60. I had a spare case fan laying around, so i flipped it in the back in exhaust mode, and it immediatly dropped my temperature 5C.

But i will get better results if i reverse it and just have the 1 exhaust out the top ?
 
Even mostest betterest greatest yet, play some games. Those temps are fine. I didn't have a fan in my case and it was summer with no AC when I got my 8600 GT OC. Far Cry would take it up to 107C (That BFG warranty is so awsome, there is no worry) before some minor artifacts would happen. Added a rear exhaust fan and now it only goes up to around 81C in rthdribl and idles around 54C
 
Back
Top