Normal DSL Behavior? Help!!

Matrox462

Gawd
I just got my DSL installed, and I'm having a bit of a problem and want to know if this is normal. I have Bellsouth FastAccess DSL, and got the Xtreme package (3Mbps/384kbps). My question is, is it normal for my download speeds to vary a lot? When I had dial-up, I had a rock solid connection. Practically every thing I downloaded and visted went at 5-6kBps. With the new DSL, I notice that if I'm downloading something, sometimes it starts out at 320kBps (Right where its supposed to be), then it suddenly drops to around 200kBps, then back up for a while, then back down again, ect. It doesn't seem extremely reliable, and has a bit of variation in my download speeds. A good example of this is when I go and do a bandwidth test on a site, it will say I have a 2.5Mb connection, then 1.7Mb, and then 2.2Mb. My point is that it never seems consistant, or atleast near consistant.

Also, I can't get my full 3Mb speed... around 2.5Mb is my maximum for some reason.

Should I try racking my brain to get that last 50kBps out of my connection, or don't bother? Please tell me what kind of connections you get out of your DSL! I am using Belkin Wireless adapters and router, but even connecting straight to the DSL modem with a ethernet cable gives similar results. The modem i have is a Westel 6100.

Thank you for any help!

Its normal. It depends on the websites servers and your distance from the telco party.

Back