normal drop in temps?

DarkDonut

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 26, 2001
Messages
302
So up to now I've only had 1 120mm fan in the front of my case to pull air through and I haven't cleaned it for a while (year+). So I got 2 new 120mm fans and installed those and cleaned out my comp.

Temps dropped by 10 across all cores! Went from 48-51 idle to 38-41.

The reason why I asked if this is normal is because the fan I had plugged in before to the front of the case was into the motherboard, but these other fans I have hooked through the power supply. Would the mobo have been detecting the temps based off that old fan? Or is this really how much a proper fan setup and cleanup job can help?
 
Exhaust fans can improve case airflow quite a bit, and dust blockage I'm sure plays a role. I'm not sure if it's normal to see that level of improvement but it wouldn't surprise me.
 
it doesnt matter if the fans are connected to the motherboard unless the fan has a temp sensor and the motherboard can read it. 10C drop is normal when you have decent cooling in a case and actually clean it.
 
Back
Top