Norco rails RL-20 vs RL-26

kharan5876

Limp Gawd
I looked on Norco's site today and now they have the RL-20 rails listed as compatible with the 4220 case. Has anyone tried these rails?

Way back when I got my Norco I got the RL-26 rails and like just about everyone else's experience, it was too wide for my rack and couldn't be used. I'm curious to know if this newer set of rails is any better and if it's possibly usable. Newegg reviews mention that it has a different installation mechanism and that you probably have to mount it on the inside. One guy says he couldn't get it work with the 4220, maybe hes right, or maybe he just couldn't figure it out.

So has anyone compared the 2 versions of the rails?

I have the gruber rails people have been using but I'd really like it if I could put the heavy case on sliding rails and not have to take it out of my rack to work on it. I'm willing to drill and dremel for it.

If you are one of the minority that managed to get your norco to mount with the original rails, which version do you have?

Finally, if you were able to mount it with the rails, can you slide the case out far enough to get the lid off and have it sitting out without having to worry about stability?

I have the generic newegg version of those (link) and they seem to work fine. Not the highest quality, but they work. The two versions are of different lengths as far as I remember, so just need to figure out which is more appropriate for your rack. I can slide my cases out of the rack and work on them without it tipping over, but you better have a lot of weight in your rack or have it bolted to the floor if you want to do the same.

I have 2 Norco 4020s that I use those with. I have a 3rd set of rails that I have yet to install as well (will probably go on my UPS).

That may be slightly different. Have people had the same problems with the 4020? Mines the 4220

Looking at the RL-26's, I'm thinking its possible the RL-20's could be made to work if mounted internally. The main part of the rail has to be inside the rack because its just barely too wide. There should be just enough room for the piece that slides out. I might be able to do this with the RL-26's that I already have. My rack is only 24" deep so I would have to dremel a vertical groove in the back part of the main rail where it cross over the metal edges of the rack.

Last edited:
Screw inner rails to each side of the case, screw outer rails to each side of the rack, slide case in?

Can't speak for the Norco rails but I've had to adapt many different kinds of rails over the years. Some cases are just slightly too wide to allow having the full width of certain rails. For those I've had to bend the extensions a little. And then have the rail recessed in the rack. This often means drilling new holes in the rail that bolts to the case. This way the bulk of the rail is further inside the rail upright instead of coming out fully flush with it. This usually means the slide won't extend fully but is usually enough to allow for service, or accessing the rail release clips to remove the whole machine.

Back