Norco 4020 Server Re-do

terayon1515

Weaksauce
Hey Guys,

I have a nice big server that is due for a tune up and would love to get some input on some of my forecasted improvements.

I have a:

Norco 4020 with a 750W PC Power & Cooling PSU
6x WD10EAVS on Intel Matrix RAID5
4x WD5000AAKS on Highpoint RAID5
and a dying/dead Dell PERC 5i w/BBU that used to host the better part of half the case.
4 WD15EARS on a silly Drobo-junk to hold me over.
(my signature is also fairly accurate)

Card:
So, my plan is to purchase a massive RAID card that will service this 4020 and have an external port, or extra internal ports for SAS expansion to another 20+ drive cage in the future. I don't have a high I/O requirement, but I am sick of getting mediocre cards that have no expansion, or are unreliable. I have readied myself for a $800+ card - it's time....

Drives:
I am planning to purchase 8-12 new 3TB drives. I am a loyal WD consumer, but understand the compatibility these days with Greens is piss-poor, especially with no TLER to turn on, I am not willing to shell out double the $ for RE's. I have only heard amazing things about the Hitachi 5k3000's - so I guess these will be my new best friends.

I have a few options:
  1. Areca 1880ix 24 Port w/4GB
    Heard amazing things about the speed of the 1880's - would this be my best bet?
    (the 4GB bundle is on sale on Newegg currently)
  2. Areca 1880ix 12 port w/4GB
    Will fill up most of the 4020 ports, leaving a few open for the internal RAID and has an external port for expansion. But for $100 more I can get the 24port.
  3. Areca 1880i with an HP SAS Expander
    The cheapest/port - but means I will be running two SAS expanders in the future.

Once small question is:
The compatibility of Areca 1880ix cards (12, 16, 24) with the HP SAS expander - as I understand the high port count cards are already using an expander to produce their ports.
I think I am gearing toward the 24port and would like to confirm smooth operation on the external, or if one of the internal ports is 'special' for use (I think I heard something about port9, or the final port)

Thank you for reading!
I would be so grateful for any input you can toss me!!! :)

Thanks,
Jeremy

Thanks for the info, checking them out. Which Chenbro expander are you using? Should I be overly concerned with compatibility between certain cards and expanders? Thanks!!

I'm open to any suggestions, other cards, other manufacturers - I have spent lots of time with SCSI hardware RAID cards in the past, but have little real-world knowledge to levy on my hardware SATA solution.
If you think I should shove my high port count card idea out the window and stick to a dual port card and run dual expanders - then that will be a good money saver. I would really like at least 500MB/s reads and writes though, and I know I can get that with a 1880i. (This will also be a card that I will use for the next 5-10 years)

Thanks everyone!

A dual port card have potential bandwidth up to 2x 2.4 GB/s, so I think you'll be fine if you spend a few minutes making sure you spread your drives across the two links properly.

http://usa.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_detail.php?sku=75 :D

I can order it if need be, I have direct connections to Chenbro distributors.

If he's going to buy a Chenbro expander, wouldn't he be better off with a CK23601 - the current generation SAS2 card? Its only marginally more expensive at most distributors (usually less than 10%) but it supports SAS/SATA 600 connections, dual linking, and is generally more compatible with more HBAs and Raid cards (especially the ones with LSI chipsets).

See here: http://usa.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_detail.php?sku=214

@Terayon1515: if you really want the older CK13601 I have a used one i can sell to you. PM if interested.

Back