• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Norco 4020 Server Re-do

terayon1515

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 23, 2006
Messages
82
Hey Guys,

I have a nice big server that is due for a tune up and would love to get some input on some of my forecasted improvements.

I have a:

Norco 4020 with a 750W PC Power & Cooling PSU
6x WD10EAVS on Intel Matrix RAID5
4x WD5000AAKS on Highpoint RAID5
and a dying/dead Dell PERC 5i w/BBU that used to host the better part of half the case.
4 WD15EARS on a silly Drobo-junk to hold me over.
(my signature is also fairly accurate)

Card:
So, my plan is to purchase a massive RAID card that will service this 4020 and have an external port, or extra internal ports for SAS expansion to another 20+ drive cage in the future. I don't have a high I/O requirement, but I am sick of getting mediocre cards that have no expansion, or are unreliable. I have readied myself for a $800+ card - it's time....

Drives:
I am planning to purchase 8-12 new 3TB drives. I am a loyal WD consumer, but understand the compatibility these days with Greens is piss-poor, especially with no TLER to turn on, I am not willing to shell out double the $ for RE's. I have only heard amazing things about the Hitachi 5k3000's - so I guess these will be my new best friends.

I have a few options:
  1. Areca 1880ix 24 Port w/4GB
    Heard amazing things about the speed of the 1880's - would this be my best bet?
    (the 4GB bundle is on sale on Newegg currently)
  2. Areca 1880ix 12 port w/4GB
    Will fill up most of the 4020 ports, leaving a few open for the internal RAID and has an external port for expansion. But for $100 more I can get the 24port.
  3. Areca 1880i with an HP SAS Expander
    The cheapest/port - but means I will be running two SAS expanders in the future.

Once small question is:
The compatibility of Areca 1880ix cards (12, 16, 24) with the HP SAS expander - as I understand the high port count cards are already using an expander to produce their ports.
I think I am gearing toward the 24port and would like to confirm smooth operation on the external, or if one of the internal ports is 'special' for use (I think I heard something about port9, or the final port)

Thank you for reading!
I would be so grateful for any input you can toss me!!! :)

Thanks,
Jeremy
 
Thanks for the info, checking them out. Which Chenbro expander are you using? Should I be overly concerned with compatibility between certain cards and expanders? Thanks!!

I'm open to any suggestions, other cards, other manufacturers - I have spent lots of time with SCSI hardware RAID cards in the past, but have little real-world knowledge to levy on my hardware SATA solution.
If you think I should shove my high port count card idea out the window and stick to a dual port card and run dual expanders - then that will be a good money saver. I would really like at least 500MB/s reads and writes though, and I know I can get that with a 1880i. (This will also be a card that I will use for the next 5-10 years)

Thanks everyone!
 
A dual port card have potential bandwidth up to 2x 2.4 GB/s, so I think you'll be fine if you spend a few minutes making sure you spread your drives across the two links properly.
 
http://usa.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_detail.php?sku=75 :D

I can order it if need be, I have direct connections to Chenbro distributors.

If he's going to buy a Chenbro expander, wouldn't he be better off with a CK23601 - the current generation SAS2 card? Its only marginally more expensive at most distributors (usually less than 10%) but it supports SAS/SATA 600 connections, dual linking, and is generally more compatible with more HBAs and Raid cards (especially the ones with LSI chipsets).

See here: http://usa.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_detail.php?sku=214

@Terayon1515: if you really want the older CK13601 I have a used one i can sell to you. PM if interested.
 
Back
Top